Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. We have an almost 23 year old rescue horse. She has been painful the past few days. We were hoping it was due to arthritis and the cold. Today was so bad, we had the vet out. We put "Eve" on stall rest. No confirmed diagnosis yet, but she may have foundered. It could be (and we are hoping it is) just a bruise. Founder can be life threatening. Please pray for Eve. If anything happens to her, I am going to have to plant my daughter, Juli. She will be devastated.

Thank you!
Jan

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is one of the first videos Juli made of Eve, back in 2008. Some of the pictures and clips are from 2007, when Juli was only 13. She had just lost her foster horse, Legacy, and had a hard time opening her heart to another horse. Eve had been in and out of rescue three times - abused, neglected, and abandoned. They needed each other and bonded quickly.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you MM. We may also be doing a test for Cushing's Disease. Laminitis (AKA founder) can be a sign of Cushing's. For any non-horse people who may be interested, laminae are folds of tissue connecting the pedal bone to the hoof. Laminitis is inflamation of the laminae. In the most severe cases, the bone can come through the sole. Cushing's can be controlled with medication. It is generally laminitis or colic that takes a Cushing's horse. Juli's previous horse had Cushing's and died of colic. Cushing's is fairly common in older horses. Eve is 23. We lost our previous Cushing's horse at 29.

At any rate, weighing 1200 pounds and having your feet hurt is a very bad thing.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone! Cassie, we don't have access to a sling. I have seen them used before. We have removed her shoes, as the vet said that may help. She is in a stall, but the vet has said that it would be OK to put her in a small paddock, especially if it is muddy. The mud may be soothing to her feet. She is not to walk on hard ground or ice. My oldest daughter is taking it upon herself to clean Eve's stall. She has permission to use as much shavings as she wants, so it will be nice and soft.

Juli is at the farm now. I am meeting my other daughter, Caitlin, between noon and one. Please continue to pray. It means so much to us. I will give you an update later.

Jan

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you again. It will be some time, before we know anything. Eve did seem a bit better today. We were able to put her in a small paddock. It was very muddy, so that was good for her feet. Caitlin and I mucked her stall and put her in for night. Eve was most unhappy to be ignored by her boyfriend, Snuggles. (Personally, I think everyone should have a BF named Snuggles.) He is also a senior thoroughbred. He adores Eve. They are very bonded, but apparently, he didn't realize she was in a nearby paddock. I'm sure if she had whinnied to him, he would have come down. Instead, she threw a tizzy fit, nodding her head, flapping her lips and stomping her feet. Mares. GEEZ!

Anyway, praying for continued improvement. Juli is holding up OK. We will be spending a lot of time at the farm.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. We will have the vet back out later this week and hopefully know more then. Thank you for your prayers!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The vet is coming out today for a re-check. I don't know what to expect. My 24 year old daughter is the one who has been meeting with the vet. We wanted to have a test done for Cushing's. Apparently, that cannot be done, because when the horse is in pain, it skews the test results. I believe x-rays are needed to confirm founder and it doesn't sound like she will be getting x-rays either. I don't know what to think. She is still on stall rest and pain meds., but still lame. I will post back if/when I know more.

Please continue to pray. Fingers and paws crossed.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Gosh it must be so difficult dealing with a large sick animal. Sending good vibes and prayers...hugs from Cassie

1 - 20 of 42 Posts