Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got a new beagle and she is not potty trained. Can you guys give us some advice on how to potty train her quicker?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no formula on making the training faster. Consistency and patience are the keys. I took Daisy out every hour to two hours, right after she ate or drank a lot, and right after she played hard. When she did go outside, I praised her like crazy and treated her. She was probably 7 months old before I would say she was 100% trained. We haven't had any accidents in a long time *knock on wood*

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Like Aliesha said, consistency and patience really are the keys to successful training. All dogs are different, and there is no time line for potty training. My first beagle Molly was completely trained between 5-6 months, while my current beagle Maggie just turned 10 months and isn't anywhere near potty trained. Just today we've had 2 pees and 1 poop in the house.

I always show it to her, tell her no, and take her outside and place her on the grass. When she does go outside, there's always lot's of praise and a treat. I know she understands, but she's just one of the stubborn ones. Yes, the patience does wear thin at times, but I have faith that one day it's all going to kick in!

There's a lot of information on potty training, so brouse through the forums and maybe you'll find something that will work for you and your little girl. Good luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We used lots of treats. Every time Jersey went potty outside she got a treat. It didn't take her long to realize that potty outside meant a yummy treat ensued. I'd say Jersey was around 7-8 months before she was reliably trained and close to a year before she was 100%. Also, remember, if she's a puppy she won't be able to hold it long. One hour for every month, plus one. So if she's 3 months old, 4 hours would be the absolute maximum she could hold it. She's also going to have to go out after she plays, eats, drinks and wakes up from a nap...which is probably like every 2 hours. And you'll probably be making at least one trip out during the night as well. As the others have already said, stay patient and consistent. It's a lot of hard work, but the more work you put into it now, the sooner it will happen.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I guess my first question is do you have a dog crate? Having a crate is an important pet supply for potty training. I'd also suggest creating a puppy schedule and regulate food and water intake in the evenings. There are several posts on here about potty training. Do a search and you'll find lots of useful info. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts