Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else's beagle take FOREVER to go to the bathroom outside? As soon as we get up in the morning Miss Molly goes right outside, and she will walk around sniffing for an hour sometimes, and NOT go. I mean, I KNOW there has to be something in there. One day I took her out right before we had to go to the store. She wouldn't go, so I crated her and we were gone about an hour and when we came back she had peed in her crate. Whenever she goes outside she gets treats and lots of praise and she has a peepee word I use everytime she goes...any thoughts?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
How old is Molly? Keep on with the praises and the treats... she will get the point eventually.
It took me sometime with Chloe as well... It is frustrating :angry: - I agree!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm, that can be frustrating. My first beagle is only 5 months so I'm by NO means an expert...but here's what we've found useful.

1. Try a designated "potty" spot. Boomer has taken a strong liking for a street light pole near our driveway. Nearly 9 times out of 10, he'll pee there.

2. Try treats. Our breeder told us not to, but we did anyway and it got him going outside pretty quick and now he doesn't even want a treat for going potty outside. We also did the "Excited happy dance" when he would go outside and I still praise him for doing so.

Hang in there - hopefully potty training will only get easier.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke was almost 3 months old when we got him and he had never pottied outside, so it was a very difficult time in getting him adapted. Finally, I decided I was staying out with him until he went no matter how long it took. About 2 hours later, I won that battle.

Now he's much faster about it and in the mornings or when I first get home, he goes quickly, but there are still times we're outside for 20 mintues before he does his business. He gets easily distracted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Little Miss Molly is not even a year yet, and we rescued her about 2 1/2-3 wks ago. She is doing better, but I have to keep her in the kitchen and living room where I can see her at all times. She doesn't seem to like going on the hard floor. Just when I thought everything was going very well, I let her into the dining room and she peed again. So I just don't know. It is quite frustrating. We had her out the other day for a walk, and on the way back she stopped to poo, and my husband started to praise her and she stopped and ran over to him. Then it took her another ten minutes of walking around and sniffing and what not until she decided to try again. Crazy dog. I guess I will just keep trying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif that is what Stan dose if we praise him while he is going potty he gets distracted and stops and we have to go over it all again. I think he may take a while to be completely house trained but he is a little better then when we first got him 2 weeks ago. It will be a few more weeks until I let him lose in my lounge with out me watching though

Just keep going and I would try treats too they seem to be helping with Stan.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OMG Stan just weed on the lounge carpet right in front of me as if there was nothing wrong with it!!!

Bad Stanly :angryfire:

Maybe he hasnt improved as much as i throught /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts

Saved by the bells....hehe

I trained Charlie to ring the bells whenever he wants out. Praised him everytime he does it, rub his nose to the bells and tell him it is pee pee time, good boy and so forth.....yade yade ya..

Also, most of them has a schedule, write it down, let her out even if she didn't ask you to. Or leash her to your pants when you see her sniff, out right away. :biglaugh:
Good luck, it takes a long time I know, Charlie still have accident in the house only through the long night when nobody can hear the bells.
But beware, once "beagles" find out that trick of the bells, it is endless, even going for a play arrrroooo. Its gets irritating sometimes. :hi:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Well, since this post been neglected, here I am bumping it up again, since someone asked about training bells and I so happen to be very successful, too successful I should say, Charlie rings it TOO OFTEN! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well just a quick reply to let you all know that things are going much better. Molly is starting to signal to us when she needs to go outside and once out there she goes much faster. We have been using training words for her when its time to go and they have really helped. She has cut her time down to around 10 mins. Much better than before. She keeps improving everyday. Now we dont have to crate her at night and she seems much happier now. Keep you all posted and thanks for all your help. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have mine trained to "Go Pee" and "Go Pooper" and they will usually go if they need to (except if it is raining the Miss Priss Sydney will hold it)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts