Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tired of cleaning up puddles. We take Polly out every 10 minutes or so...
She's almost 4 months old...there's light at the end of the tunnel, right? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Sometimes she keeps her kennel dry, sometimes not...

We need a potty training pep rally! :bounce:

·
Registered
146 Posts
You betch!! Rah Rah!!
Make sure you are recognizing the signs she needs to go out. Sniffing in circles like she is searching for a place to pee. Make sure when she goes pee outside you are exhuberant with your praise and treats. If you don't already have some get some enzymic cleaner to use when she does have an accident. It will eliminate the smell (yes even to a beagle). Some people think it can be difficult to housetrain a beagle. The key is consistancy so everyone in the household needs to be involved and dedicated.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yes there is a light at the end of the very long tunnel!! My girls are 9 months now and I can say they are 95% trained. They do sometimes still have accidents and I'm sure it because no one was closely watching them. I did get bells and I'm teaching them how to ring them if they want to go out. It is working :happyhappy:

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
I'm right there with you! Phoebe will go for days where it's all clicking and then have a day that,... well you know! :grr: She has me as her back yard cheerleader, has treats etc. I guess keep saying, "I know we'll make it, I know we'll make it ...."

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I remember those days! Jersey would be great for a few days and then it was like she totally forgot she was housebroken. It seemed like every time I thought we were making progress, she would regress. Then, one day she went to the door and tapped the doorknob. She's been pretty much perfect since then. An occassional accident, but those are usually after we've ignored her request to go outside. Hang in there, it will get better!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to say...praise an outside potty like no dog has ever done anything better. Give lots of treats and praise. That helped us so much. Once Jersey realized that outside potty meant a tasty treat, she made a lot of progress. And as for the crate, take her blankets out. I know that sounds cruel, but once she realizes that peeing in there will make her wet and dirty, she'll more than likely stop. Once she makes progress there, put the blankets back in for her.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
There is hope! At four months Maggie was not trained at all and I was despairing of it ever happening. At 5 and a half months, I suddenly realized that she was having almost no accidents in the house. She's eight months now and always goes outside.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
What about doggie diapers? Just kidding. But honestly if we get another puppy ever I'm thinking about trying them. After all we put our human infants in diapers.

Good luck with the potty training. It takes time. We had 2 Beagle pups at once, a boy and a girl and it seemed to take forever for them to finally get it that they were to go outside for pee and poop.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you so much!
Last night was bad--she peed right in front of us, on the couch. :angryfire:
And now we have this snowstorm headed our way, which will not entice them to go outside AT ALL! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
We won't give up, though! it certainly has made me appreciate our older dog! :hi:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know about the peeing in front of you on the couch. Jasmine actually did that one day. (as well as on my sons bed) :angryfire: I don't think she even realized I picked her up and got her outside, thats how quickly I reacted.
I used Natures Miracle and so far no odor or stain...
Thats also when I realized they needed to be locked in the kitchen more(tile floor). Since then she's never done it again and they are getting more time in our living room with us.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel..

Good luck with the snow storm and keep us posted..

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
O.K. Taurus Mom, heree's my official contribution to the pep rally:
Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel!! And no, it's not the light of an oncoming train! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
4 months is still pretty young, though. I'm sure Polly's Puddles (sorry, couldn't resist!) will get fewer and farther between as she gets older. Are you crate training? That was a pretty effective method with Miss Shiloh; I learned that the hard way! Beagles do sometimes seem to take a little longer to housebreak than some other breeds, so don't be discouraged if she occasionally has a setback--she should be fully good to go (or not go, as the case may be /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) by around a year. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Awwwwwww.....I sure hope things improve soon. I can only imagine how frustrating all those accidents can be! I'm glad Polly is so cute, so you don't KILL her.... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes, there's a tiny flicker of light at the end of a very loooooooong tunnel... Just kidding!!! :angry: .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts