Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Linus for 4 weeks now, and over all he's been very good at becoming house trained. But...and there is always a but, he has had two accidents in the last two days. Both times i think I am to blame because I gave him a big drink of water and started to play with him and within 15 mins he squats and pee's right in front of us.. I believe I will have to treat water like food and take him outside within a few minutes of him getting a drink.. Wife wants to know, generally, how long will it take for him to become fully housetrained and to know that he doesn't take a leak in the house..

Thanks,

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, accidents will always happen during housetraining. Linus is still very young and it might take a few more months before he is fully potty trained. I think it's easier with boys...

You would probably need to take him out a few minutes after he drinks, eats, plays and wakes up. Oh, and before he takes a nap. If you are crate training him, whenever you can't watch him, put him in the crate.

Patience, you'll get there.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie was housetrained at 5 months. At four months, I was thinking it would never happen and then almost overnight, she started going to the door on her own. I think she may have had one or two accidents after five months but once she started going to the door on her own she was pretty consistent. It sounds like Linus has a good start. He just needs a little more time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Linus may not learn to alert you about potty needs for quite some time; you just have to anticipate and take him out whenever you get the chance. The more success he has, the quicker he'll get the idea. Pups don't have the strongest bladders, so by the time he feels the urge and alerts you, he may only be able to hold it for 15 more seconds, lol! It can sometimes help to restrict water intake while they're young or after exercise; both puppies and thirsty adults can gulp way too much and get overwhelmed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I didn't restrict Beaglina's water, but I kept (and still keep) her water bowl outside - the theory was that as she was already outside to drink she might remember to pee too!
I don't remember how old she was when she became fully house-trained - it was more a case of suddenly realising that there hadn't been any accidents for ages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, our issue is we live in a townhouse that does not have a fenced in yard. So we have to take him out on the leash, which is fine, but he's still not old enough to let us know.. gotta stay clued in at all times. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif which can be tiring. I've thought about the bell method of hanging a bell next to the door, but my 2 year old would never leave it alone. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah its like a switch sometimes. All of the sudden they start going to the door. You really have to pay attention to hoe much water they drink. If they drink alot then you can be sure they will need to pee sooner than usual. Imagine drinking 32 oz of water in one sitting. You will have to go to the bathroom much sooner than normal and also have a hard time holding it for a long period. One time when Scout was about 5 months old, we went out to eat and left her in her crate. She had been house trained by that time and stopped going in her crate. When we got back she had peed in her crate and we had only been gone for about 2 hours. Then I remembered she drank a huge amount of water right before going in.

We also used to take up food and water about an hour or 2 before bedtime, but she has been doing better with holding it at night and not waking us up.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
When ours were very small, like a few months old they would lap and lap their water. It was like they didn't know how to control themselves. So we got them one of those water bottles that go on the side of a kennel or pen. It has a nozzle and they lick the nozzle and get a smaller amount of water at a time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But not always, he'll have water next to the food dish sometimes and never drink for it. maybe a slurp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts