Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby is 6 months old now. She hasn't had an accident in the house in a long time, but still has the occasional accident in her crate. (Unfortunately, she has never had a problem with peeing in her bed.) :-(

Anyway, here's my question...when we have Abby out in the house to play and spend time with us, she does a really good job of going to the baby gate and whining to let us know that she needs to go outside. We can almost always tell when she needs to poop as her butt 'puckers' - well, that's what we call it anyway. :) However, sometimes she whines and we assume she has to pee so we take her out. And she does nothing. Basically, she whined because she knew we would take her out and she spends the time out there sniffing and playing. How do I teach her that we decide when she can go outside to PLAY and that she is only supposed to whine at the gate when she actually needs to pee or poop?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well, I seem to have the same problem. Don't know what to say, but that we all have hounds, huntin' dogs bred to be, and they naturally like to be outside more and more. We raised Cassidy to be more of an inside beagle, but...you can't take the beagle out of the beagle!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That is a tough one! It was a piece of cake with Roscoe, he got it right away! Cole on the other hand is having a hard time getting this and we have tried so many of the recommended methods, we are not giving up though, persistence, patience and consistency are the key!
Good Luck

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is it possible to allow her out by herself for extended periods of time?

As Murphy matures we are able to leave him out for long periods of time (invisible fence). Sometimes he lets us know he has to go out and potty, other times he just wants to go out and be outside. Either is ok.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Pop_RivitIs it possible to allow her out by herself for extended periods of time?

As Murphy matures we are able to leave him out for long periods of time (invisible fence). Sometimes he lets us know he has to go out and potty, other times he just wants to go out and be outside. Either is ok.
Not yet...unfortunately. Our hope is to eventually be able to, but she's still too young and unpredictable. We don't have a fenced-in yard so she's on a 30' tie-out when outdoors...I'm always worried that she will slip out of her collar so one of us stays outside with her. Thanks for the idea, though! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts