Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I would love any tips you have for potty training your beagles. Ours are newly adopted and range from 1-2 years old. They pee inside 10-15 minutes after a walk. We are also monitoring their water intake.

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am a big believer in crate training!! No matter the route you go, though, it takes lots of patience!!

My young one, Lucky, also needed to be taken out alone to potty. When Toby was with us, it was just too much distraction and he wouldn't focus on taking care of business.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: beaglemadreHello - I would love any tips you have for potty training your beagles. Ours are newly adopted and range from 1-2 years old. They pee inside 10-15 minutes after a walk. We are also monitoring their water intake.

Any suggestions would be great!
Preempt them! If you know they usually pee within ten minutes of coming home put them outside within five minutes and watch to make sure they toilet where they are supposed to. As soon as they toilet outside, give lots of praise and treats!

Take them out every hour, after meals, after they drink, when they wake up after a nap/sleep, after they have been for a walk or are playing. Ensure you praise them for toileting where they are supposed to. Diligence and consistency is the key!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Crate or confined when inside until they are more trustworthy. We brought a rescue in that was between 1-2 years of age recently and we are still working with her. She does fairly well with our dog door and being able to go out when she wants, but occasionally we are still dealing with accidents. I am just trying to remember it is like having a puppy because she has never been taught to be an inside dog before. Good luck.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You have to think faster than they do. That's why I would put them out within 5 mins of coming home. Maybe all that drinking and walking stimulates them to have to go....and if you are quicker than they are, they might get the idea that they go out, after they walk, or do it before they come in. Casie's breeder told us, to make sure that he stays out until he does his big poo in the AM....don't listen to his mournful whine...he has to go first, then comes in. It was very hard this winter...but we out foxed him, brought him in, let him warm up and then put him out again...it worked. Good luck, ya gotta be smarter than the average beagle. There should be a game show that is Are you smarter than a beagle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today was a much better day. I'm taking them out on the hour every hour. I am now also taking them out after they play as I'm realizing that they seem to need to pee after a good play.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! We take them for a long run every morning and that helps big time! We then take them out for a quick pee before work. When we get home they go pee and then another 3-4 walks! It seems like a lot of walks right now, but we want to make sure that they know a walk is always coming so they won't pee in the house!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ours are both 95% there at under 1 year old. IN the beginning it was outside every hour, treat every potty. Then it got to every 1-1/2 hour, treat when you come in. Every 2 hours treat when you come in. Now it is when they scratch or 3 hours whichever comes first, and of course treat when you come in.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
When I got Miss Shiloh, I was very resistant to the idea of crating her, because we had 2 other dogs at the time who had the run of the house and it didn't seem fair to jail Shiloh. But when I finally gave in and started crate training her, potty training went much better. Good luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts