Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Beagle Duke is 5 years old I want to potty train using a crate because I work a full time job but don’t know if I should crate him for 8 hours and I’m also not sure if I should wake him up in the morning or let him wake up on his own, does anyone have any tips?

·
Super Moderator
5,015 Posts
I don't use crates so I can't help with that but some members here do. I personally prefer baby gates to limit their house access. 8 hours is a long time in a crate. My beags are home alone for about 8 hours 4 days a week but they have access to the kitchen, hallway, bathroom and bedroom areas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Beagle Duke is 5 years old I want to potty train using a crate because I work a full time job but don’t know if I should crate him for 8 hours and I’m also not sure if I should wake him up in the morning or let him wake up on his own, does anyone have any tips? View attachment 41489
suggestions: some will work, some may not, keep trying
*get two gates and limit his area, but i think a crate is too small, PLUS he will need access to water. You cannot limit his water.
*yes wake him up in the morning to YOUR schedule, so he learns.
*temporarily: Pay someone to come at 4 hours to potty. Most dogs can hold it for 8 hours, if they are potty trained. If he is still going in the house, pay someone for 2 trips during the 8 hours. You need to find how long he can hold it, and work from there. Nighttime is a total different story. My 4month old can hold it 8-9 hours at night, but every 2 hours in the daytime. Paying someone temporarily is far cheaper than longtime urine damage, and distressing a dog. In the end it will be worth it.

why is he not potty trained at 5 years old? just asking?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts