Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
diesel is now 11 weeks and his potty training is going really well... we just have one problem. he goes to the door sometimes he scratches or sometimes he whines for us to let him out. but other times he will pee right in front of the door... not a lot but just enough to let us know "hey i got to go outside" i dont want to scold him for doing this cause i want him to keep going to the door... how do i get him to stop doing this????

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My guess is that he just can't hold it, even when he is going to the door (which is great).
I think that you should give him time... and if you catch him while peeing (even if it's by the door), you can make a loud noise that will get him to stop peing, take him outside and then when he goes, just praise him.
It sounds like he is doing great for 11 weeks.
Maybe you should try the bell?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill see if i can get one... he is always with me and i am not very far from the door... so when i see him start walking toward it i get there to open it so its not like he is standing there for a while. i open the door right when he gets there.... but thanks ill try the bell

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
He's really young still and to go to the door at that age is great. I think it's kind of like when little kids are playing, they get so caught up that they wait until the last minute and can't hold it anymore and they don't make it to the bathroom in time.

Chloe's mom had good advice. I'm sure he'll be trained in no time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
that's great for his age.

Sounds like he knows what to do, he's just not doing it quick enough. Until he connects all the dots, you will have to be his timer/gauge. That means, take him out all the time. When he wakes, when he eats, when he drinks, when he plays, etc. In no time, his bladder will be built up and he can hold it longer, you will recognize his queues, etc.

11 weeks is still very young. So like Chloe's mom said, clap your hands or make a loud noise to stop him, and then take him right out. He's not doing anything wrong, it's just that timing is off so no need yet for disciplining. Just to startle him to stop him and right out.

good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts