Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby has been doing pretty good with her potty training. But, I have an odd question...when she's in her crate, she holds her pee; 1, 2 sometimes 3 hours (we try not to keep her in there that long...). However, when she's out of her crate for playtime, she tends to have to pee pretty often.

Example: Tonight she was in her crate for an hour while we ate supper. I got her out and took her straight out to pee and she did. Brought her back in and we played for awhile...running, jumping, etc (yes, in the house - it's wet outside!
) Anyway, after only 30 minutes she peed in our bedroom (my fault, I wasn't watching for the signs). I told her no, she stopped, and we went straight outside where she promptly peed. I praised and praised her and gave her a treat. We came back in the house and after only about 10 minutes she started whining and pacing. So, I got her leash and took her outside where she peed again.

Is it normal for a puppy her age to have to pee so many times in an hour of playing? I assume she doesn't have a physical problem since she can hold it in her crate. I wonder sometimes if she just whines to go out and acts like she's peeing (or only pees a little each time) so that we will take her outside - she LOVES to go outside. Is that a possibility? And, if it is, what can I do about it?

As usual, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Murphy was exactly the same way.

It took a lot of work and diligence on our part to recognize the signals, and we still keep a piddle pad near the back door just in case. We brought him home in the dead of winter which made it especially difficult on cold/snowy days.

It takes time but you'll get there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rocky is 3 months and does pretty much the same thing. He pees a lot when we're home, but in his crate he's doing almost 7 hours at night and my son lets him out after 4hrs in the morning, then he does about 2 hours before they come home from school. (I think he's doing really well!)

He's our first puppy, but from my experience with our other dog, Indy, he would drink nothing all day and start when we got home, and go out a lot, then cool it for the night.

It's like they just know they can't go, therefore they don't!

·
Registered
147 Posts
At that age, the bladder is still not fully developed. After any kind of play or excitement they will still need to pee. When we were playing inside, we would stop after about 15 minutes of play to go outside for a break.

·
Registered
400 Posts
5 months is still pretty young. While, their instinct NOT to potty where they sleep is strong, don't be surprised if it seems like they regress in potty training a few months from now.

As mentioned by regal, any sort of play or exercise will often lead to the need to potty so be sure to take Abby out often during stimulation! Otherwise, if you feel she is peeing too often, get her checked out by the vet to rule out UTI.

Sounds like your potty training is going great, though!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for these replies - it definitely makes me feel better!

Java & Lilo - we already had some regression in her potty training in the past couple of weeks. She started peeing in her crate again... however, when we are home we have been diligent to get her out of her crate anytime we think she may need to go and the past few times we have had to leave her for a few hours, her bed/crate has been dry when we got back home - I'm hoping we overcame this problem. I hate to have to go through it again (I kept wondering what I/we had done wrong!) so maybe her regression came early...? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts