Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY puppy has a potty problem. She wakes up from a nap and I take her outside... She plays and plays and plays no matter how hard I try to get her to go potty. When I get frustrated and take her inside, she pees on the floor a few minutes later. I grab her and put her outside, she doesn't pee... I need HELP!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Patience is all I can advise and PRAISE when she does go where you want her to. We started immediately taking Blue out to the spot we wanted him to go to and telling him to go potty (yes, we were talking to the dog in public). While he was going, we we would say good boy go potty and sometimes I would add in your potty spot. When he was done, we would pet him and play with him so he knew that he had done what was expected. Granted we still have some accidents in the house, but it is only when someone doesn't read his signs. Keep up with it and be patient, it will come.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I second Maria, and add PATIENCE.
Bear in mind she is only 8 weeks old... she doesn't know where she is allowed and where not. A loud and assertive NO when you catch her, and taking her outside, to a spot you will repeat, so that she knows this is where she is allowed. Praise like there's no tomorrow when she goes outside, and yes - at first you will find yourself outside more than in the house. She will get the message eventually.
PATIENCE!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel like she thinks that I'm rewarding her for going in the house by taking her outside afterwards and she just plays out there...

·
Registered
225 Posts
No, she will get it. Some recommend taking the paper towel you clean up with outside to the spot she is supposed to go to. We didn't try that at all, he just finally figured out if he went outside there was a cookie waiting back inside!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
There's no problem! She sounds perfectly normal!! LOL!!! I agree with the previous posters. As most everyone here can attest, beagles are not the easiest of dogs to potty train, but they do get it eventually! Lots of patience!! Most here will highly recommend crate training, as do I! It helps with the potty training among other things like separation anxiety, sleeping, safety when alone, etc.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh, it took months to train Duke. At first, he wouldn't go outside at all! Finally, after 3 days of this, I decided I was staying out with him until he went potty no matter how long it took (July, in Fresno=HOT!). After about 1-1/2 hours, he finally did. I almsot cried I was so happy. Treats were given, I praised him so much he didn't know what to do.

Eventually, it will happen. It will take a lot of time and a lot of patience, but it will work. Now at almost 15 months, Duke has been accident-free for about 6 months.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She's just a baby. She'll get it. Jersey had lots of good days and bad. It won't take long for Bria to catch on. Watch her and learn her signs. All dogs have a signal when they are about to go potty. Learn Bria's. Use lots of treats and praise. In the meantime just be patient. It will happen.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Try different treats. Jersey liked the liver ones we got her when she was a puppy. Are they dry? Get chewy meaty kinds. PetSmart sells containers with small bite size treats. Perfect for training. I even cut them in half sometimes. Keep trying until you find ones she likes.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When we went to puppy school, we quickly learned that the regular puppy biscuit treats would not cut it with Duke. He lost interest quickly and the trainer had dehydrated liver treats she suggested we try. What a difference! He would do anything for those treats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts