Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of taking my puppy outside, should I just take him to the pee pads? Or should i take him out to pee?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've never been a big believer in pee pads, I think it gives mixed signals that it is O.K. to potty IN the house.

Personally, when I have potty trained a dogs in the past, I've always just taught them by being consistant in teaching them to potty outside and that outside is where they are to potty.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
When it is really necessary, it is freezing cold, pouring rain, and only for small pups.
To train them back to outside peeing is not that hard. Just take the soiled pad to where you want him to pee, couple of times he will get it, beagles are smart. At least Charlie did.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I never used them. The one time I tried, Jersey shredded the pad in about 30 seconds and that was the end of that. Some dogs can be hard to re-train to use the bathroom outside. Once they get the idea that they can soil in the housem, it's hard to break that habit. I think it would just be easier to do by training your dog to go outside from the beginning. Use praise and lots of treats when they go outside. It didn't take Jersey long at all to realize that going potty outside meant she got some goodies. Make sure to take the treats outside with you and give them to your Beagle immediately after they do their business. That way they associate the treat with going potty outside and not coming in the house.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Outside is definitely better. I use puppy pads for the crate only when we are gone incase the need to go (and they do use them) but when we are home, it is ALWAYS outside.

·
Registered
889 Posts
To be honest they are a total waste of time and money in my opinion. Why train them to pee in the house then re-train them to pee outside. Train them as you mean to go on from day one.

Most dogs just shread them anyway.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Part of good training is consistency...if it's NOT ok for them to go pee in the house, it should NEVER be ok for them to go pee in the house. Do NOT train your puppies to go inside instead of outside. It is very, very hard to "untrain" them once you train that sort of behavior into them and that can be very frustrating to them as well as you and whomever else comes into contact with your dog in the future.

On a side note beagles are prone to weight gain and need that time outside to exercise also. Furthermore, a bored dog is a destructive and/or unhappy dog. Keeping a beagle inside all hours of the day is like takimg an artist's palette
away, or a internet junkie's computer away.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by LeatherNeck:
I live in an apt though
So do we. Second floor and that meant lots of trips up and down the stairs, many in the wee hours of the morning. As a puppy, we would usually carry Jersey. Now she flies down and is at the bottom before I'm even halfway down. I would say unless you're in a high rise that would take too long to get down the elevator, outside training is still your best bet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm using the pads and I have to agree with most of the comments here, that its better to just train them to go potty ouside from the get go. I just couldn't, because Chloe couldn't go outside before she finished all of her shots. But - now I'm in the process of educating her about going potty outside, with lots of treats when she goes and hopefully it will go smoothly.

Definitely outside!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I'll vote with taking puppy outside to go pee pee. We let our puppies pee on newspaper in the kitchen when little. It was hard to then re-train them to go pee outside. So go pee pee outside.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Outside is best. Even if you live in an apartment the dog will have to go out often until trained. It's not like having a cat, which one can keep indoors.
Good luck with your training, I can see you sleeping in a jogging outfit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha.
YEah, I am taking him to pee outside.
But sometimes we are gone and he would be alone and left in the house, and I would want him to pee in the pad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
???? about pee ppe pads, since my pup was 4weeks when we got him(Hershey), he was using puppy pads very well! Then parvo virus "hit"him and he was sick all the time and always used the pads! But now that he is better, he won't use them. I'm worried about going outside with him, in case he could still shed virus... At what age do u think he could potty train sucessfully outside???? He is 6weeks old now! Tosca

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Basically.... he is extremely young to be potty trained completely, or even close to be potty trained. I got Chloe when she was 13 weeks old, and she is just about to get the point (almost 5 months now). I would contact the vet first about how safe it is to take him out, and if he cannot go out, just keep to the pads. You should use a crate anyway, as part of the training and defining territories. Don't let him around the house alone all the time, confine him to a designated limited area and let him out directly to the pad, when he does his business on it, praise him and give him treats, so he knows he was good... it takes time! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I know everyone here is saying don't use the potty pads but I do use them. When we lived in the apartment, Lucky would be left in the bathroom for sometimes up to 8 hours (I try to come home at lunch but sometimes I can't). He didn't always use the pad, but if he really had to go he would. Now that we live in a house, I still use them but only when we are gone. I feel like if he really has to go because maybe he drank a whole bowl of water before I left for work then he can go on the pad. He never ever potties inside while we are home. When we are home, he rings the bell to go outside. Only when he really can't hold it does he use the pad when we are gone. I understand this may seem wrong to others. But Lucky is smart and knows he is supposed to potty outside. I'd rather him potty on the pad then ruin the carpet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts