Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've never had a dog before, but have always loved beagles and am considering buying one. From the research I've done, it seems to be a great breed for me, but I still have several questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
I think the most important one for me is, I already have two birds. Would it just be a bad idea to get a beagle? Or would it work if the puppy is accustomed to the birds from an early age?

Secondly, I'm a teacher, so during the school year I won't be home between 7:00am and 3:30 during the week. Usually my mother is at home, but there are days when she is gone for the day. Would the beagle have a hard time staying alone occasionally for that amount of time?

Finally (for now at least!), how are beagles at protection? I don't want a big, true guard dog, but it's just my mother and me at home, so one of the reasons I wanted a dog is for a little added security.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Beagles are great! (I doubt there is one member here that will say otherwise).
If you get a puppy, I don't see any reason for it not to get used to the birds. Beagles are very pack oriented dogs, so there is a good chance that an adult dog will get used to the birds, too.
As for the hours you're not home. I'm away from home most of the day and Chloe gets by just fine. My ultimate goal is to get another Beagle (which I am positive will help her manage when she's alone) but she is 2 years old and is doing just fine so far. If your mom is home for the majority of the time, that's even better for you, especially at first when the pup is young.
Guard dogs? I don't know, but I do know that Chloe is very protective of me and if there is a sudden sharp noise from outside the apartment, she immediately starts howling. The same on walks, if something scares her, she won't let me proceed towards the general direction. Now I know she is small and I can drag her, but at night, I mostly trust her.

One more thing, since you're a teacher, if you're planning on getting a pup, I would advise that you get it when you have some time off (spring/summer break). That will help you get it used to its new home and start potty training properly.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Welcome! I am a teacher also. We got Maggie in the summer. She was 8 weeks old. When I went back to work in September my dad came to my house every day and let her out. Twice in the beginning and then later once a day until she was old enough to go that long without being outside. Of course Maggie prefers us to be home but she got used to the schedule. I always got her up early, gave her some outside time and played with her before leaving. When I got home we played again and went for a good walk before dinner.
Now my husband is retired so it isn't an issue.
I don't know about birds. Maggie will try to chase them outside but she hasn't been around any inside.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Welcome!

To answer one of your questions, i have a parrot and i got my beagle as a puppy and honestly he does not pay attention to her AT ALL even as a puppy i think, he sniffed her a few times and thats about it. Completely ignores her, i can count on one hand the number of times he's even approached her cage.

As for protection i must say my beagle personally is a horrible guard dogs. He's just too friendly, I've found the mail woman cuddling him, and we joke that he'd go away with any stranger. Some beagle will howl/bark when someone approaches the home but mine doesn't, he wags his tail at anyone and expect to be petted so honestly i dont know it might depend on the dog but my experience is beagle will alert you but not necessarily guard you.

I dont see anything wrong with your schedule, at first to potty train it will be a problem i think, but once you get that done i dont see why not, I'm a college student and i'm gone sporadically and as long as i leave some interactive toys (kongs, etc.) he's fine if not he just sleeps all day.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm not sure how a beagle will do with the birds. They are hunters by nature. Our beagles goes crazy over cats, but there are others on here whose beagles gets along with cats. So it might be a crap-shoot.

You're going to want to use crate training with beagle to help with the potty-training. The 7-3 will be a little long when he's young. So you might have to arrange for a potty break for him during the day. Otherwise he can be back in the crate. When he gets older and his bladder bigger/stronger he can be in the crate for the day.

To your final question about being overly protective. Again I think that will depend on the beagle and how you expose him to other people. Our beagle is very friendly with everyone and we've never seen him be on-guard with anyone whose approached us. The same goes with barking. The only thing he really barks at are cats, dogs or any wildlife he may see or smell.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, beagles are adorable.

With respect to birds, I think if you get the dog from puppy, he will get used and will be friendly coexistence. My beagle used to the cats at home. I never had problems.

As they have an endless energy, you have time to book a walk with him. If left alone too long, they may be bored and end up destroying objects in the house.

If you expect the beagle a big guard dog, forget it!

These dogs are very docile, friendly and kidders. If any stranger trying to enter your home, can the dog want to play with him. If the higher the purpose, then forget and try to evaluate the possibility of a dog of another breed.

I suspect prá mean, after all, have many beagles and I love the race, but for me there is no better dog to have ....

(excuse the errors of writing ... use these sites for translation to write ....)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hello! I can relate to your situation in two ways, I am a teacher and I have 5 birds! When we first got Roscoe he was 3 months old and I was working full time. However, I lived in the same town I taught in and was able to come home at lunch to take him out. He was fine, we crate trained him of course.

As far as the birds, Roscoe would just sniff their cage and was only interested in trying to eat their food that fell on the floor! We got another beagle, Cole, and he adjusted to the birds with no problem, the difference is now, I am home most of the time, I only tutor a few hours a week. Cole is the same way with the birds, only interested in eating the food that falls on the floor, but that's a beagle for ya! I do not take the birds out with the dogs in the same room though. I let the birds out in their own room, no dogs allowed, I don't trust that much!

Guard dogs??? Not so much. Watch dogs maybe. I know if there is anyone or anything outside almost instantaneously!!

Now we just brought Gino home last night, he is a six year old basset/beagle mix and so far he does not even seem interested in the birds, again, just whats on the floor!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
We both work, full time. Both dogs are in a pen (area in the front hall we have sectioned off) while we are at work. enough room for them to walk around and stretch their legs. Inside is a bowl of water, 2 crates (even though they wind up sleeping in just one) and some toys. When they were younger I tried to get home midday to take them out. Now, they are in there from about 8:30 till about 5pm when I get home. Neither messes in the house any longer. If I am in the area, I'll stop and take them out. Once I get home, they go outside, come in, get fed, play, then go for a nice walk.

She has a cat (I stress she, I want nothing to do with that house rat :)) The dogs are interested in playing, but not much else. Don't know how birds would be.

Protection ... only if the intruder is afraid of licking. Then again, I want a dog for fun, not protection. I live in a low crime area anyway. Plus, my neighbor/friend is an avid member of the NRA with more guns than one could imagine. His son is a national champion sharp shooter. It's like having the cops right there.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well my Bagel hates pigeons - thinks one of his main jobs in life is to keep the back yard free of pigeons! Doves, quail, sparrows he pays no never mind but pigeons he loathes. I don't know why but I'm glad (<span style="font-style: italic">I think it might be because they mess with or in his water bowl</span>)! It might be that pigeons act like prey where as the dove and quail don't! Bagel is the same with cats, if they act nervous, scoot away, he howls and thinks there is some sort of chase game afoot but if they don't he ignores them. Most beagles are not good protectors but they will alert you to an intruder! My Bagel is alone while I'm at work but he has his backyard, lizards and chipmunks to fret at, pigeons to admonish, grounds to patrol, a job to do. I think it is important that a dog alone not be bored and beagles do like being with the pack (which will be you and your mum) so when your around, expect the beag to be around and content.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Beagle is an excellent watch dog, not much as a guard dog though. I have a window in the living room which he loves to look out. If anybody should pass by, he is barking at them. Once his is out there to get them, he turns all Beagle and runs up to them expecting a treat or pet. In fact, he also watches everything in the house and if it is out of place, he barks at it, since it shouldnt be there. He once was up in the bathroom, saw that the bar of soap fell to the bottom of the tub instead of wear it was supposed to be and bark at it for a half hour until i picked it up and put it were it should be. After that, he was fine. Silly Beagle.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to beagle world. A puppy might chase a bird but if you teach it from the start to leave the birds alone maybe it will work. Never leave the birds unattended,when out of the cage, in the same room as the dog though.
Just having a dog in the house will probably put unwanted people off. Ours bark if they hear a noise outside, its the barking thats a deterrent. Or put a beware of the dog sign on your gate.Police friends of ours told us that crooks put a cross on a map where dogs live and avoid the houses left and right of it as well!
If your mother is home most of the time, then you have nothing to worry about re the hours you work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We had a parakeet and one of our dogs could have cared less about him but our other would leap into the air to try and grab him as he flew by. I think with any dog it's just best to let the birds out in a separate room because you just never know.

As far as a guard dog no, but mine do alert us to any outside noises, so if someone were to trying to break in we would know about it the minute they touched the house and I do believe the barking would be enough to drive them away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.