Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past three days, Charlee has been drinking excessive amounts of water, which of course makes him pee alot. What concerns me is he had 6 accidents in the house yesterday. That's VERY unusual for him because he NEVER goes in the house. My husband said last night he peed while standing chewing on a bone. Almost like he didn't know he was doing it! Most accidents were right by the door but a few were in the living room and hallway. Do you think it could be a UTI? I'm calling the vet today but wanted to get some opinions.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie had a bladder infection about a month ago. She was drinking a lot of water. The excessive water drinking is a common symptom. I just didn't know that could be a symptom.Maggie also had two accidents in the house which she never does. We had to give 21 days of antibiotic as they determined the bacteria was e-coli. We took a urine sample in for retesting afterward to be sure the infection was completely gone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My boy's been drinking lots and leaking in his crate so I took him to the vet a few days ago, she said that UTIs are not common in male dogs, but a possibility. In males, it might point to a kidney issue. They took a sample to send off to test for UTI and for concentration (kidney function). It's certainly worth checking out.
The vet also mentioned that sometimes dogs will just drink enormous amounts of water and have accidents and if nothing is medically wrong with my boy, to limit his access to the water bowl.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if it has something to do with his neutering last week. About 2 days after the surgery, he peed while laying on our bed. He was on Rimadyl for pain, but I took him off of it because it made him wired and a bit aggressive. I read that frequent urination was a side effect but he's been off of it for a week now. He had bloodwork done before he was neutered so I would hope if it was another issue it would've come up. My other thought was it was a behavior thing because I left him in his crate for longer than usual the last two days because I worked, then I had school and 4 of the 6 accidents was while hubby was home with him. Anywho, we're going to the vet this afternoon so I'll let you all know how we make out. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: HeyWifeI'm wondering if it has something to do with his neutering last week. About 2 days after the surgery, he peed while laying on our bed. He was on Rimadyl for pain, but I took him off of it because it made him wired and a bit aggressive. I read that frequent urination was a side effect but he's been off of it for a week now. He had bloodwork done before he was neutered so I would hope if it was another issue it would've come up. My other thought was it was a behavior thing because I left him in his crate for longer than usual the last two days because I worked, then I had school and 4 of the 6 accidents was while hubby was home with him. Anywho, we're going to the vet this afternoon so I'll let you all know how we make out. Thanks!
neutering has been proven to cause some dogs to have extreme trouble holding their bladders for the rest of their lives. my cousin has one such dog and its on medication to help with it but they basically have to take it outside ALL the time. Even though most people endorse neutering it is a medical proceedure that has MANY negative sideeffects that can occur. it is possible that this is the case for your dog. Also, it might be diabetese. The excessive drinking sounds very much like it. I'd look into that.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope you get good news at the vets. I thought this problem was just with females after neutering, but am probably wrong.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The vet seems to think it's a UTI. Today he hardly drank any water and had no accidents in the house. Diabetes and kidney issues were already ruled out because he had a full blood test before he was neutered. So they gave me Clavamox to give him 2x a day for 10 days. Have to take the urine sample to the vet tomorrow because they were closed before I got a chance to get it there today. So all is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.