Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very worried and hoping you all will have some advice. This morning Scooter has had diarrhea twice and his gums are kind of pale. He wants to play, wants to eat, and wants to drink just fine. Could it be that he was on a cheap no-name brand of dog food before and is now on a high quality food (Chicken Soup)? His stools were perfectly fine yesterday and in the middle of the night.
My fiance is at work and won't have the car back until after 4 pm tonight.... so I can't take him to the vet until then. I was planning on taking Scooter to the vet tomorrow or Friday night for his shots. When I brought him home, he obviously had worms, so I wormed him with Panacur that I had on hand for my kittens. I used to work at a vet and Parvo terrifies me. But could it have just been from the food? The only other thing he's eaten besides the food is some pieces of a pupperoni stick that I rewarded him with. And I believe fiance snuck him a tiny piece of cornbread last night but it was a VERY tiny piece.
Any advice to ease my mind until we can get to the vet tonight?

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
You can take care of the diarrhea by feeding him plain yogurt or plain canned pumpkin. (Do not use spiced pumpkin as you would for pie... just plain old pumpkin.)

The pale gums stumps me. Could be an iron deficiency. You can get a supplement fot that from your vet.

Will look for your update.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I don't think I have any of that on hand, but I'll pick some up tonight.

I do have the iron supplement from the vet already. I had a cat with anemia a few months ago and still have half of the bottle left... I just went ahead and gave him some of that.

I'll update tonight.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would say just keep an eye on him. If he's eating and drinking okay, and staying hydrated, it's probably not an immediate emergency. You can check if he's hydrated by pinching a fold of skin - if it falls right back into place, he's okay...if it is slow to fall back, he's dehydrated.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for puppies, but we have dealt with this problem a LOT with Buckley. I usually fast him for 24 hours (i.e. not feed him breakfast), then for dinner, some plain white rice. I keep him on that for a meal or two, then slowly add a bit of boiled hamburger or chicken (drained to get rid of the fat). Once things start returning to normal, you can slowly introduce the kibble back in. I have heard that plain canned pumpkin is good, but I personally haven't tried it.

Certainly it's something to talk to the vet about when you take him in in the next day or so - they will likely want a fairly fresh stool sample, so take that along with you.

I'm going through this right now - not sure what caused it, but it has been persistent since Sunday so we are going to the vet tonight. Buckley has a very sensitive tummy/irritable bowel, so he can't recover if he eats something that bothers him, so we usually have to do a course of metronidazole or salazopyrin to get things under control.

If you are concerned - call your vet and ask them for advice and if they feel he should be seen sooner than your next appointment.

I hope Scooter is feeling better soon!!!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Actually, if I may disagree with you Kathie, I would suggest you go to the vet asap. Parvo is not likely if your dog did not start with vomiting and is showing no sign of depression. However, several health issues, some more serious than others can cause an anemia (as witnessed by pale gums) and diarrhea, the most common being poisoning.

Better safe than sorry.

Good luck and let us know what happens

·
Registered
540 Posts
You most certainly can, cheerio! I certainly have no experience with very young dogs, so your mileage may vary, as they say. Sounds like good advice to me - as a result of reading all the posts on this site, I have learned so much and continue to do so! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My baby had Parvo and I can tell you that's probably not what it is. The first sign of that is vomiting. Plus, they will not want to eat or drink or do anything whatsoever. I hope you figure out what's wrong! I suggest going to the vet ASAP!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much everyone. My fiance is on his way home now... so we'll get this taken care of very soon. Scooter is still acting perfectly normal other than the diarrhea. I gave him the iron and his gums pinked up a little more.
I'll let you all know what happens.. I'm having trouble with my dial-up so I may not be able to update tonight.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone, Scooter's doing ok... he's on Albon now for coccidia, and he's still wanting to eat, drink, and play. I'm also giving him pedialyte so he won't get dehydrated. I got some canned baby food to give him in place of dog food for today. He had a couple normal stools this morning but then had watery stool a little while ago. Hopefully he'll start getting better soon! I have new pics to post after I get my phone line fixed. Thank you all for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Glad to hear Scotter has medication to get him better!! Get better quickly little fella!! You are a good Beagle Mommie to get him to the vet as quick as you did!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
So glad to hear Scooter is on the mend. I would expect watery stools are a result of a basically liquid diet between the pedialyte and the baby food. Looking forward to new pics!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm glad to hear Scooter is OK. I was thinking the same thing as Judy regarding the loose stools. A drastic change in his diet like that will definitely contribute to that problem. I would give him some rice to help bind him up. Boil some ground beef or chicken to put with it and Scooter will have a nice treat that will help his belly too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again everyone. Scooter is now back to his old self. His stools are normal, gums are pink and he's acting just fine. He's still got a couple days left on the Albon, and then hopefully we'll be able to put all this behind us! I'll have a new post with pictures up soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts