Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Murphy in last Thur to have a growth removed from her 'bumm' and have her teeth cleaned. The surgery site is starting to heal so it itches and she is trying to lick it. I got a pair of those girl dog pants to try to hinder from getting at the stitches. It's sort of working. We still have to keep an eye on her.

The big problem is, she has a cronic cough. It's worse at night, so it keeps all of us up. And, I know she is getting sore from all of the coughing. It's awful to watch her. She has the most pitiful look on her face.

My question is, does anyone know of a 'home' remedy I could give her until I can get ahold of the vet? I was thinking of honey. Or are there any over the counter meds I could give her?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
When my Romeo was neutered, he had a cough for a few days from the tube they used to put him to sleep. The vet recommended robitussin for him. I'd probably try the children's if you go that way. Never had a problem with any of the dogs my regular vet spayed or neutered (or other surgeries) - but he wasn't available and his younger partner (wife) did Rom's surgery - and he did cough and hack for a few days after.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Glenda, I was just surfing some remedies. The last time Murphy had her teeth cleaned she coughed for a day or so, this is different. It's worse and lasting much longer. She was just in for her annual, and I forgot to tell them to give her the kennel cough vacine. They said they'd give it to her when she came in for the surgery. I didn't pick her up, my husband did, so, I don't know if they remembered to give the vacine. Could she have gotten kennel cough that fast? She's already on anti-biotics. In fact, this is her third round of them.

She had a urinary infection, then Kip attacted her now this. All in about 4 weeks time.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Could be Kennel Cough. Ours both had a bout of it last year. It is a terrible sounding cough and they coughed up flem and threw it up. Our vet gave them antibiotics and a pill form for dogs similiar to Robitussin. Do you have an emergency vet office you could call for some advise? Kennell cough takes a few days to get rid of it. I wonder if a pharmacy could give you advise about a doggie?

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Childrens cough syrup or spray will comphort them, but ONLY give
them a small dose at first, & if it gets worse try a small dose
of honey. And If your beag seems to have more throat discompfort
than the cough itself...give them a very small dose of asprin or
no more than half of a childs asprin!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. She is still coughing, after surfing the web about it, I decided I could try some Robitusin. I got the formula that is just for coughs, and safe for children. I'm only giving her a 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours. It does seem to be helping. I'll call the vet first thing tomorrow, he's not in today, Labor Day.

Poor thing, between the cough and the stitches, she is miserable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts