Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took Max to the vet yesterday and he has some kind of an ear infection that he has had since before we rescued him (so the vet says) the vet cleaned all kind of black stuff out of there and gave him a shot now we have to give him pills and put this stuff in his ears until it runs out then take him back to get another check up and make sure its all gone thank goodness the next one is free

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Poor baby, but it's a good thing you caught it. We've been lucky with all our long-eared dogs that in all these years, only one time have we had to deal with one. Hope things clear up soon for Max!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Is the stuff the vet gave you called Otomax? If so, that's good stuff! I keep a tube of it on hand for Shiloh when her ears seem to start bothering her.In the summer she's also prone to get a kind of irritation around her pee spot and it helps with that too. Good luck--hope Max feels better soon.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Thats the trouble with long ears. Worst of all are spanials. Did the vet find ear-mites in the goo? It should clear up quickly with treatment and cleansing.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sorry to hear Max is going through this - Booker had an ear infection recently too so sends Max special sympathy but wants him to know he should be back to feeling great really quickly now that the treatment has started.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sorry to hear about the ear infection. When we first got our Cleo she had a terrible ear infection and kennel cough. We had to clean her ears 3 times a day and put in antibiotic drops. Every time we cleaned them we pulled out tons of black gunk. It took a week before they started getting any better. I understand very well what everyone says about ear infections. With Tucker we check his ears every time we brush him and try to clean them at least once every two weeks if not weekly. He hates getting his ears cleaned. He grimaces when we do it. He looks like Elvis because he raises the corner of his lips. He puts up with it because we also brush his teeth and he loves the toothpaste and then he gets a treat. He will move a mountain for a treat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes Genie the stuff is called optomax or something similar. there were no ear mites but like some of you have said we have to clean his ears out everyday its a chore but max has seem to come to the realization that if he lets us do it he will feel better cause he quit fightin me and my wife jess he seems to bein alot better only 2 days away but we will continue to follow the vets orders. he doesnt tend to them in anyway except the occasional scratch but yeah TUcker's dad Max had kennel cough when we got him to i guess thats common with shelters if I had enough land I'd adopt them all.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's ugly stuff in those ears...but at least the vet got it out, and now Max is on the mend. Those ears are very important, so they have to stay clean. I clean cobi's every week, not that we like it, but we stay ahead of those pesky ear infections.

Cathy and Cobi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts