Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We have a five year old beagle that we got in July. We are having trouble getting him to poop outside. He has to wear belly bands when we are gone and he soaks them. He’s gotten better about peeing outside. But he will go outside and not poop! Then come in five minutes later and poop in my house. He also poops in our bedroom every night. We are so frustrated. Help!

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Welcome
Hope you post a picture of your pooper.
Tell us why your dog has a belly band.
Your dog is fairly new to your environment and I would treat the dog as a puppy.
Limit your dog's area to someplace like a kitchen so you dont have accidents in the house until you get this under control.
Take your dog out on a leash to pee and praise..bring your dog inside and reward with a tiny treat...then repeat going right back out to poop...or feed the dog and take outside..tell the dog what you want.. I say go PEEPEE for everything. Then when he poops come in and give another small treat and praise. I wouldnt allow the dog in the bedroom for nite sleeping.
Also what is your feeding schedule.
Cassie says Hi
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Snout

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Why don't you walk your dog to make sure he poops (and pees) outside? 5 minutes in the yard is generally not enough time for my guys to go either.

·
Super Moderator
5,348 Posts
I had that exact issue with Molly when we got her from the shelter, she would wander outside forever then come in and go in her crate and pee or poop. When we rescue them we don't know the situation they were in or how they were trained. Start as if he is puppy. If he eats, plays or wakes up - then out to go poopy. As Cassie mentioned - reward and praise for good potty behavior. If he poops in the house, take him right out and say "poopy outside". Its a bit gross but you can actually put some of his poop outside to show him that's where to go. Once Molly got it she got it, it was like a miracle!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! We have a five year old beagle that we got in July. We are having trouble getting him to poop outside. He has to wear belly bands when we are gone and he soaks them. He’s gotten better about peeing outside. But he will go outside and not poop! Then come in five minutes later and poop in my house. He also poops in our bedroom every night. We are so frustrated. Help!
Hi everyone!! Thanks for the feedback!! We live on a round dead end road I’ve started walking him around that and he poops in the same spot everytime now!! We went from pooping in the house everyday to now we poop outside everyday and rarely poop in the house. He does wear his potty belly band still though. He started wearing them because when we are gone he pees on everything. He soaks them most night, even peed in our bed one night.😅 but here’s a picture of him!!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Working animal

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
That's great news about the pooping!

Agis (not a beagle) was an upset pee-er and would pee when we left if he was crated. We've ended up putting him in a bedroom, either by himself or with the other two. While he used to be destructive, now he's really quite good.

We worked hard on getting him used to the crate, making it positive...but. Totally fine in there at night.

I agree with testing him for a UTI.

Reactions: allymcbeagle

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi everyone!! Thanks for the feedback!! We live on a round dead end road I’ve started walking him around that and he poops in the same spot everytime now!! We went from pooping in the house everyday to now we poop outside everyday and rarely poop in the house. He does wear his potty belly band still though. He started wearing them because when we are gone he pees on everything. He soaks them most night, even peed in our bed one night.😅 but here’s a picture of him!! View attachment 42505
My former beagle/lab mix always had to have a good run around the yard before she would poop. My Ally McBeagle was a champ and very good at potty outside, I was blessed to have this little girl for 18 years.

A belly band isn't intended for continual use throughout the day or night - be watchful of rashes, infections, and irritation from it. It should be a temporary fix and not a deterrent from learning to "hold it" and potty training outside. Having said that, I haven't experienced marking or difficulty with training. My beagle/lab mix was harder because I worked at an office so training took longer as I couldn't get home to her in frequent enough intervals, so I had to accept paper training until she was old enough. With Ally, she took to potty training like a natural. Hubs was also home-based and kept an eye on her., going out every hour at first until she could hold it longer. Nights and weekends were hardest - interrupted sleep schedule and no sleeping late!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a very old dog, a border collie mix. He lived to be 17 years old. In his older days he had a hard time lifting himself from the floor. I put a belly band on him. One day I forgot and let him out, and the poor guy soaked the thing. I felt really stupid. Lol If they wear belly bands make sure they are taken off when they go outside. I actually use the word pee for them to pee and go poop poop for them to poop. They know the difference and if they pee and want in, I tell them to go poop poop and they turn around and do so. I read that dogs can learn a lot of words and their meaning. Also, it helps to feed the dogs at approximately the same times each day so you know they have to go poop. When I first got my seven-year-old beagle, she was not that good at being housebroken, so I took her out always on a leash to the same area. Now she is as well housebroken as my other beagle. I am a first time beagle owner and they are not your average dog when it comes to housebreaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts