Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if any of you have had this problem but our little one eats her own poop. We clean up as quickly as we can but she seems to more often than not get to it quicker than us.

My biggest fear is that she just ingesting worms that she has be treated for.

Any suggestions on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She gets there first, because she know about it first.

Sprinkle in Adolfs Meat Tenderizer into her food. It makes her poop taste bad... errr... ahhh... worse than it already does.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have the same problem with Molly and Jake. I hate when all three dogs are going at once because I can't get to it all fast enough.

We have tried ALL the remedies and nothing works. Jake is obsessive-compulsive and that is one of his mail things he loves to do. Only thing that works is picking it up as it comes out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really don't know what can make it possibly taste worse!!!!

Someone suggested bits of pineapple to have the same effect but it didn't work. Others said cut back on treats cause she hadn't digested them properly but we never gave her a huge amount for that to be considered.

Dont know if I can get Adolfs in Ireland, can certainly look around. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for response... So far I think what you're saying is the way to go!! Just keep running around and grabbing it before she can!! Was kinda hoping for some miracle cure!

It's so disgusting though.. turns my stomach!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
For those of you using the meat tenderizer how much do you use and does it make them extra thirsty because that stuff is mostly salt? We have the same problem with our female

·
Registered
847 Posts
Your local pet store will have some products you can use. I believe most are food additives that makes their poop taste really bad.

I've also heard you can add tomato or pineapple to their food which does the same thing. I just don't know if it's more effective then the stuff you can buy.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I think it depends on the dog too. If your beagle is really obsessed with it to the point of grabbing it and inhaling before you can scoop, then the remedies probably won't work. My Andy will sometimes eat it but could really care less. But Jake and Molly will actually eat it as it comes out (sorry to be gross) so its more of an obsession than anything else.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I remember watching Victoria Stilwell (sp?) and she advised a couple to add fresh pineapple to the kibble for a few days. Apparently it helped!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was at the vet for our check up last night and he again suggested pineapple or half a childrens vitamin supplement as she may be lacking in vitamins - might try Spridells link and see how I get on with that too.. I'll let everyone know how we go!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Rosa has a terrible habit of doing this and as I have tried every remedy going and it still makes no difference then the fact that it is a habit is the problem, not the taste of it.

My vet suggested muzzling her at all times when she has the opportunity to eat it to break the habit. But this would mean that she would have to wear the muzzle on every walk and for most of the day because she has access to the garden through the doggie door. I just don't want my poor baby to be constantly in a muzzle and I'm fairly sure the minute I remove it when I think the habit has been broken she'll go straight back to eating it anyway lol

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I have a muzzle on Andy during the day and he just shoves it in the poo (nice). They do make stool-guard basket muzzles that may be of help but since Andy only does this rarely, I haven't gotten him one.

Nothing works with Jake and Molly, they are obsessed with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, Scout loves to chomp on her poop as well. We've tried the pineapple and it didn't seem to work. Now she grabs the piece of poop and runs around the yard looking for us to chase her. So she's made a game of it. I try and keep the yard cleanup as much as possible, but she still manages to grab the odd bit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just a head sup, we could not locate Adolph Spice anywhere. So we decided to try McCormiks meat tenderizer. Charlie, who use to go after the poo like a fat kid chasing a chocolate bunny, now sniffs and walks away.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Roscoe used to eat his own when he was little but got out of that habit on his own rather quickly. Now that we have Cole (who we are still working with to housebreak), Roscoe has taken to eating Cole's! Cole never touched his until he saw Roscoe doing it and now its a race to see who will finish it first

Cole also has taken to eating poop at the dog park! People have not been picking up after their dogs (I am attributing this to the large amount of snow but still no excuse!) and when I try to get Cole to drop it, he sprints away and I look ridiculous chasing this little guy all around the snow covered park!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts