Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New to the board, but was just curious what the real deal on pocket/mini beagles is? I mean are they just small beagles that they call this or what? Also, what are the health risks? I am in Mississippi and my wife and I are interested in getting a beagle but wanted to understand this issue before I got into something. Thanks

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A "Pocket Beagle" in this century is nothing but an advertising gimmick. Here in the North American Beagles are either less than 13" at the Wwhithers or less than 15" at the withers. An 10" beagle would be considered a 13" beagle but the seller thinking they could reap a bigger profit might call them a "Pocket Beagle." I'd stay away from anyone making such claims.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome Bamsu.

Be very careful when buying "pocket" or "mini" beagles. Beagles have been bred to meet certain standards. There are "runts" or small beagles that come out of this. Its unknown if they have any health issues. Also keep in mind that you can't tell a 13", 15" or "pocket" beagle as a pup. You only know what you have after about 1.5 years, by then you pocket beagle may be 16.5" and 45 lbs.

If you are looking for a 13" beagle pup, talk to breeders of that size beagle. Otherwise, visit your local shelters and beagle rescues.

Good luck.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Welcome to BW. If you are thinking of getting a beagle, dont be fooled by the term'pocket beagle'. I would suggest you take a look at an animal rescue center and see what the beagles there look like. Good luck and do let us know if you get a beagle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts