Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'> </span> Good Morning Everyone. I've spent some time reading your messages amongst yourselves, and I feel better now! First off let me introduce ourselves. We, my partner Dave and I (Kym) recently rescued a beagle mix from the far north of Canada. We are already owned by two rescue cats Rocky and Ned, but we were dogless. For the first time in all of my life I didn't have a dog. Mind you, I had a sad eyed Englishman to retrain LOL, so that made up for it for the past 5 years. He(Dave)is nearly papertrained now, but I think I've made more progress with Baby Bernie in the past week! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Anyways.. back to beaglespeak.

Bernie was motherless from the time that he was 3 weeks old, as his mother was shot, and her puppies left to die /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif. A rescue organization regularly scoops whatever puppies they can get their hands on, and brings them to our local area to have the babies adopted out once they are off bottles, or weaned. After the rotten start to his life, it's a wonder Bernie isn't a basket case. I would have been! We adopted Bernie last week at the age of 7 weeks (all of the other slightly older puppies had been adopted, and he was going to be left with out siblings so the rescue family said we could have him slightly earlier than usual).

We fell in love with a picture! And I hope to figure out how to post that picture soon! The avatar I chose.. is his baby pic, so hopefully you get an idea. He's part beagle and part husky, and all teeth! We was a wobbly cantaloupe shape when we picked him up, but it seems a life with outside access (LOTS of pottytraining access) has reduced the belly, and grown his legs, confidence, and ATTITUDE!

Bernie has amazed me with what he has managed to learn in such a very short time : a few pee spots inside, all of which are my fault for not hurrying into my jacket soon enough to get out the door, he's not yet pooped in the house, scratches at the door to go out. Learned to "Night Night" in his crate after the second night. 5hrs a night with never a whimper and never an accident in the crate) Sits for all treats, and generally comes when food beckons. He's not actually a dog, he's a pot bellied pig by the sounds of him eating! We had a mental breakdown with a trial of a choke chain and collar yesterday. OMG the racket! He has a voice! Leash training had to start today.. as we have now got wandering skunks, raccoons, and an excitable Bernie out together at night! Good thing it's darn cold out there, and he's not willing to travel far from us. Leash training involved thrashing like a stuck pig, screaming as if his life was in danger, and a happy grin for a "sit Bernie" and a handful of liver treats when he stopped midthrash for a nibbly!

Needless to say, I've taken far too much of your time, and I will be taking even more as we develop issues in the future! I realized as I sat down here in front of the computer in tears after a VERY long day of puppyloving/training, that I needed to get some perspective on what I am doing wrong.

Hopefully some of you will remember/know the feeling of hands throbbing from a million pinprick teeth mouthings, the tired ache of the legs from the million trips out in the ice and snow for potty training, and the need to always be cheerful and happy for a puppy that cocks his head and looks at you as if to say "But aren't I cuuuuute???". We're learning to substitute toys for fingers, and crate for thrashing temper tantrums (Works MIRACLES!), and remembering why we love this little devil!

Thanks for reading, hope to read more of your stories, input, and waggy tales! Kym, Dave and Bernie

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hello and welcome to Beagle World /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gif

I cannot wait to see Bernie's picture! Part Beagle and part Husky--this is one I want to see!

So glad you decided to join our pack thumbup. You will find lots of advice and help (and sympathy!!) My Daisy was an older stray, so no real advice on pups from me. But there are many others who're more than knowledgeable.

Daisy send Arroooos to Bernie and I send tummy rubs. He sounds adorable. So glad you've given him a forever home after the tragic way his and his siblings lives began. Bless you for that!!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Monica and Daisy, thank you for the lovely warm welcome! Managed to figure out the picture posting technique. Now if I could figure out Bernie, I'd be all set!

Ok, time for the last trip of the night outside in the snowbanks. Hubby is home at 7 am and he gets the bouncy baby and two hungry cats!
Take Care, Kym

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
He is adorable.And yes I absolutely remember the puppy days. The re were times I think I didn't sit down for an entire day. I could hardly wait until it was time to put Maggie to bed. Kind of like when the kids were babies. Welcome to Beagleworld. It helps when you know your puppy is normal and that others share your misery and your joy!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World, Kym and Bernie. He is absolutely adorable. I DO remember "puppy days" since I am owned by ten beagles, the oldest is 7, the youngest, 10 months, and almost every age in between. We think we may be having beagle babies in about 7 weeks, so there'll be MORE puppies.
If Bernie is your first beagle, he'll be an experience for you! I have some information about beagles that I provide to people who are interested in one of my puppies. Not sure how much it would help you since Bernie is a cross. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a copy. Beagle pups can be a real "challenge" to say the least. I'm almost 69 years old and have had MANY dogs and dog breeds throughout my life, but my Princess is the FIRST beagle - heck, I thought beagles were DOGS! Was I in for an education!!! I find that people (other than "beaglers") either love beagles or hate them. Obviously, I do love them. People often tell me "beagles are stupid"! WRONG! They just learn differently than other dogs I've had. Anyway, just ask questions - you'll find most of us here have been through ALMOST any problem or feeling you may have in this "growing up puppy" process!
Again, welcome to the group!
Glenda 'n the pack

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif Glenda..you thought a beagle was a DOG? Goodness, where ever did you get that uninformed idea? haha I've been owned by collies, german shorthaired pointers, attitude airedales, labs, and a ladder climbing dachshund, but I have never felt as exhausted and defeated as I did after yesterday. It was not a "Good Boy Bernie day". My two children didn't test me as often.. mind you the puppy is far cuter in his apologies! I am glad everyone has given their beagles/dogs their forever homes, you are all wonderful. If anyone asks (or barks) I am going to go stand under a thunderous shower, before going out to buy shares of RollOver, and a gallon of peroxide!

On a positive note, we love Bernie, and he's here to stay. I believe he's the "child" my mother wished I'd have!!

Take care, Kym

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

Welcome to you and Bernie! He is absolutely gorgeous. Please don't worry about taking up our time -- we all love to share and read or we wouldn't be here. I have an adopted beagle, Maggie, who is now almost 13 and, since she was about 1 year old when I adopted her, I missed the puppy stage so will have to let others address your puppy questions. Looking forward to lots more pics and tales of adventure!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Welcome /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wave.gif

Bernie is adorable. I could not wait to see what a full grown beagle/husky mix looks like...

Thanks for rescuing Bernie, and we love pictures & stories, so don't feel like you are taking much of our time. That's what we're here for... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone! We seem to be in a "phase": If I don't look at you I can't hear you! No appreciation for the treats and nibbles as rewards anymore either. We've taken the 2 pm feeding out of his bowl, and it's going to be doled out when we take Barricuda Bernie out for "landing" practice! Boy that dog can walk fast.. backwards, while growling and crying like he's being butchered. Long day ahead I can tell. Oooh.. and bathtime too! That should really calm him down... NOT!

Again thanks, and I shall move onto posting on some of the other boards, once I define a real issue! Kym and Bernie

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You should work with him on the name thing. Everytime you are with him and he looks at you, treat him (even with his dry kibble, that would be part of his daily feeding). You can do that by putting one piece by your nose and when he looks, treat.
The next step is when you are calling him and he looks at you, treat and "good boy". Then, try increasing the length of time that he looks at you. That way, eventually he won't ignore you.
At a certain point you would want to take away the treating and maybe just say "good boy" and play with him. Anything that associates good things to him.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Kym, Hi Bernie, Welcome to the group! I'm the mom of two crazy,wonderful,awesome beagles. They are so much fun! Enjoy the puppy days. They may be alittle tuff at times but they don't last to long. I miss Rusty as a pup! Henry came to me only a short time ago. So I'm not sure what he was like but i so sure he was a ball of fire! LOL! Well once again, enjoy him much and welcome to the land of the beagle! Tail wags to you and beagle licks!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Howdy Kym and Dave - Welcome to Beagle World - Welcome to Bernie. Sounds like after arough start things are going Bernie's way! Look forward to hearing more as he grows into a fine young beagle.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome!! Your pup is GORGEOUS!!!

Ive got a 5 month old, drives me crazy but love him to death, his name is Glover and is a tan and white little monster!

x
K

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
A big welcome to beagle wold. I adore that pic of Bernie with the shoes! Thank you for rescuing him. We have two rescues, ex research beagles, who had lots of bad experiences in their early years. They were five years old when they left research, so no idea how they were as pups. Our first two beagles produced 12 pups between them (both litters were accidents, the fathers being local mongrels), all a delight.
Looking forward to hearing more about Bernie and watching him grow up.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What a cutie. I can't wait to see what he looks like when he grows up. Welcome!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts