Our Beagle World Forums banner

Please "WEIGH" in

65K views 142 replies 65 participants last post by  JohnyPepperoni 
#1 ·
I'm curious about the weight of Beagles. I saw a Beagle at a camp kennel and it was huge! My 5 month old female is 15 pounds- is this average weight for this age? She doesn't at all look over weight. I would appreciate knowing how much your beags weigh (regardless of age) so that I can get an idea of where we are in the growth department. Shes also about 12 1/2 inches at the shoulder. :beagle:

#11 · (Edited)
Benny's five months, about 12 inches (he was bred from 15-inchers) and was just over 22 pounds last week. Solid muscle, seriously. I read somewhere that the "average" Beagle weight is between 20 and 40 pounds - which looks about right from all the comments!

I find it interesting that of all the Beagles I've seen in our neighbourhood (and there are a LOT more than I imagined - funny how you suddenly notice something you're passionate about!) there is not a toned one in the bunch. It's really a shame, there are beautiful dogs underneath but they're all just so danged FAT!

Another side note: I went to a dog show a few weeks ago and there was something strange about all these dogs. I couldn't pin it down right away and then it hit me - none of them were fat. You get so used to seeing all kinds of shapes and sizes of dogs you almost forget what the "ideal" weight is supposed to look like.

#13 ·
I was wondering about this, as I was trying to work out the correct vol. of puppy food for my pup. All the sites said about 25-35 lbs, but my SIL, who has 2 cocker spaniels, said this must be wrong as it would make her lighter than them and she thought beagles should be larger.

Good to know I am about right!

#16 ·
Cobi is a 13" 12 yr old and weighs in at 30 lbs...he is strictly all muscle no fat, Our Casie is 5 years old and 13.5" and is also 30 lbs Casie conforns to what our vet and the AVA provides for wt guidelines, but he looks mmuch heavier than Cobi even though they weigh the same, And again, Casie is ALL muscle

#21 ·
A friend fostered a dog 2 years ago that I could have sworn was a pure Beagle. It was on the larger side, and it turns out this dog was mixed with Walker Treeing Hound. They look just like a big tall Beagle. I wonder if that is not also the case with some of these "larger" Beagles? Obesity is a big potential problem with this breed, but any owner can tell just by LOOKING at their dog if the dog weighs what it does because it is too fat, or in the case of these really big, but obviously slender dogs, a Walker Hound in the wood pile somewhere? Dillon weighs between 21 and 23 pounds depending on which scale he's weighed on. He is one year old and the 13" variety. He is a good weight for his structure.

#22 ·
As a former hobby breeder of championship line beagles, I've had beagles of all sizes and shapes here. Due to some age related problems I've re-homed most of my "pack", but had beagles ranging from 14.75 inches tall and almost 40 pounds (my sturdy beagle - not fat - just "sturdy"), down to my "tiny beagle", Chloe, who is 11 years old and weighs about 15#. Currently I have Chloe, JoJo, who is 8 and is about 25# - Lottie, another little beagle - who is "stockier" than Chloe, and JoJo's daughter from her last litter, Lily, who is almost 3 and weighs about 22#. Since my "stud" was a small guy - about 20# and 12", most of the pups from their litters were smaller beagles - about 20-22 pounds. JoJo came from a long line of field champions - which included her mother, Spotty who was a tiny girl - and her mother's full brother, who was an impressive 18" tall and 53#. I had no idea how big JoJo would be - but she's really a nice mid-sized beagle. Beagles DO come in all sizes, shapes and colors - one of the nice things about the breed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.