Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,
This is my first big problem with my 13 week old Beagle I realy hope you can help. Every time we leave him alone he wines the house down. Night time is the worst as we can still hear him crying when we are in bed we have tried to ignore it thinking he will give up but last night he cried for 3 1/2 hours after we went to bed in the end we had to give in and my partner stayed up all night with him so I could sleep. We put a baby gate up so we could shut him out of the living room but so he could still see us but he still cry’s. We spend lots of time with him and he gets lots of exercise and has lots of toys but he cry’s if he is not sat next to us. How can I help him feel happy on his own and stop him crying?
Please help im pulling my hair out :angryfire:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Would it be okay if he slept in your room in a crate? Either way, give him one of your old unwashed t shirts to lie with at night. A lot of dogs also like large stuffed toys that they can curl up with like a litter mate. If you can, leave him alone several times for very short periods during the day, then come back. When you return, don't make a big deal, petting and talking to him.

How does he do when you leave him during the day for short periods (like to use the bathroom, or stepping outside for a moment)? Do you take him out for a bathroom break at night? I'm wondering if it could be seperation anxiety. You are teaching him that if he keeps whining, you'll eventually come back. Do not go back to him while he's whining when you know he's fine. No matter what. It may take a couple of days of him whining for him to get it. If it doesn't get any better check out information on seperation anxiety.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles were bred to be tight knit members of their pack. Therefore they suffer more from separation anxiety that most breeds. A search of this forum for “separation anxiety”will yield a plethora of information as the subject is often discussed. My beagle and I are a pair of old bachelors and during the day I give him a purpose, a job to do while I go away to work. When the sun goes down he expects to be with his pack (me). Many of us avoid the evening problem by allowing our beagles access to our bedroom and many allow our beagles to share our beds. Others avoid the problem by having more than one dog. That said, if neither of these is an option, we will need some more information. Does he have crate? If so, does he feel secure in his crate? If he has a crate, could you put the crate in your bedroom? Comfort may be had by such simple tricks as providing Stan with a article of clothing (A good sweated in t-shirt work well) or a load ticking clock. It takes a some effort but giving in and comforting him will only reinforce Stan’s whining. I sure others will chime in. All my dogs have been adult rescues so I’m not sure how to proceed with training a puppy.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
If you dont want him to sleep in your room, then you have to be firm. One method is that one of you sleep in the room you want him to get used to. My friend did this, it was also easier to house-train her pup, the moment he woke up she dashed out into the back yard with him. A lot of work, but worth it. If you decide to let him sleep in a crate in your bedroom, you might get more peace!!! Ours sleep in their baskets in our room and jump on the bed about 7am.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Like bob said beagles have that "pack thing" going on and they feel the need to be where you are. It would help a bunch if you just let him share your bedroom. But be sure to put an old shirt or something of yours that you don't wear anymore to make him feel calm in his bed and the stuffed animal works good too. Something that that takes is mind off being alone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ours did the same thing.he had blankets in cage and a pillow he used in the living room to lay on.after 3 nights i figured out he wanted his pillow instead of the blankets.as soon as i put it in there that night he stopped howling and hasn't done it since

·
Registered
115 Posts
We put a crate next to the bed and my husband or I slept with a finger in the crate. He did not fuss at all as long as at least one finger was in there with him! We did this for about a week. When Zeus would wake up he would chew on our finger and we would take him to go potty. Soon the crate moved to the other side of the room and wa-la he was crate trained and potty trained.

Now Zeus is the king of the bed. I play with him sometimes and pick him up and lay him on the floor and he jumps right back up and flops on my pillow as to say "you sleep on the floor!"

Good luck it will pass. Hang in there!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice
At the moment he cry’s the second I leave the room even if im just going to the bath room. I wouldn’t mind having him in my room when he is fully house trained but he is struggling a bit at the moment and we have a cream carpet so I would like to avoid it if I can /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Our room is not big enough for a crate so that’s not an option either.

Thanks for your advice though he has improved at night since I tried your tips. I have put in an old pair of my jeans in his bed and left the radio on that seems to help too. Just a tip as well for any one else with this problem I put me jeans in the cloths dryer for a few minutes so when he gets in his bed there really warm he loves it and snuggles right down.
Iv just got to work on the day time howling now
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts