Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fin is now just about 7 months old and is doing well. A week or two ago I posted about him using the kitchen as a bathroom and he's gotten much better since. I guess maybe it was just a little adjustment period to his new space.

Now there's another issue. Fin is a big-time biter. Not vicious at all, just playbiting. But Im sure a lot of you know that sometimes those playbites hurt. I told myself that it was just teething in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure all his teeth are done coming in. For instance, if you're petting his head he starts to turn toward your hand and bite it. This is usually a very light nibble. But when he's excited he will sometimes jump up and bite your hand if you aren't paying attention. These ones usually hurt. Last night my girlfriend was lying on the couch and he jumped up and bit her face. Again, it wasn't hard but this is unacceptable. Is this normal? Should I just continue to correct him when he does this or do you have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
ALL puppies play bite. And most will grow out of it on their own if you do nothing. But, that'll take a year or longer, and I am sure you don't want to think of your pup as a furry little piranha for another good 6 months.

Regardless of what you do, be consistent. We are working on gettin our 3 1/2 month old beagle pup right now. What has worked well over just the past day for us is to yelp as soon as he bites us too hard. Like a puppy would help. This stops him dead in his tracks. Then, we walk away from him. He hates that. Makes him sad.

In just one day, he has gone from a pup who would regularly get carried away to just casual mouthing. Now, getting him to stop biting altogether will take more time. After all, he is just 3 1/2 months old! But, first step we decided to take was to teach him biting hard hurts. Once he has that down, teach him all biting of humans is bad.

Correcting a pup usually doesn't work. Even if it is negative attention, they still got your attention, which may be what they want to begin with.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Oh biting...you should see my hands!

Here's what we're doing with Bodie. When Bodie bites we loudly say ouch then get up and walk away. If he follows we turn away and ignore him. You can tell by his body language he knows that was bad and wants you to forgive him. After maybe 20 seconds we'll get back down and resume playing with him. He rarely does it again, at least that hard, afterwards.

What we do is get on the floor with him with lots of his toys. Whenever he starts nipping we grab the closest toy and stick it in his mouth. I also find giving long soothing pets while he has something in his mouth is a great way to spend time with him without sacrificing our body parts. This really calms him down and makes family time much more enjoyable for everyone. He really wants pets and his belly rubbed. By giving him something to chew on allows this to happen and everyone is happy.

By the way, we don't play rough. The only time we play rough is outside and it's only with one tug toy. When he sees it he knows he can be more aggressive and have fun. This also keeps our hands out of harms way.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I adopted Henry at 1 y o and he had a bit of a mouthing problem. I guess previous owners let him get away with it and he thought it was okay. Fin is too old to be mouthing and biting you; it's disrespectful. I agree with the other members; find a distraction noise that works and ignore him when he does it. I was very strict with Henry and he stopped it in a few weeks. You've just got to be consistent. And no rough play until the pup understands that there are limits and respects them. Henry and I can be playing rough, wrestling and mouthing, and when I jerk my hands away and snap my fingers he stops immediately. Control is possible, beags are smart. I'm very firm with Henry about a lot of things, mostly because I want him to be good citizen and welcome everywhere. He came to class with me one time and laid under my desk in a down stay for 25 minutes while I took a quiz. Good boy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts