Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Play yard as an alternative to a crate

Not sure if playyard is the correct term...but I know a few people have said they use this instead of a crate.

We have a wire crate for Regal but am thinking of getting a play yard/fence that might be more easily transportable. And my brother works at a company that manufactures these for children so it's free!

What size would work best? I'm thinking it will be his bed at night plus we will take it with us for visits to our parents.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: Play yard as an alternative to a crate

You can certainly use a doggy play pen in lieu of crate training. Even though I preach the importance of crate training, I feel the same results can be achieved with a pen.

What we did, is put the pen in our living room. This way Bodie was always centrally located in the house. I configured the pen so there was a designated potty area. As time went by that area got smaller and smaller before it was eventually gone. After a month or two of this we brought him into the bedroom with us overnight and put him in a crate. We only had to do this for a few weeks. He quickly proved he could hold it overnight and the crate was no longer necessary.

The pen was great and used pretty frequently up until recently.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Additionally, if you have a house but not enough room (or money) for a fence all around the yard, you can buy modular fencing and create a small yard for the dog.

Mine is a 5x15 area (6ft high, 8-gauge wire) placed up against the house with a doggy door so that Oreo can come and go as he pleases. I call it his poop deck.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

I think the answer is whatever will work for you and your Beagle. We raised two Beags from pups. Our first pup Bama, simply would not stay in a crate. For Vinny, the crate turned out to be his safe haven, he always went in there when he wanted alone time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts