Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted Payton about a month ago. We have one houseplant, which I never thought much of until he was ripping some leaves out last night. I put the plant outside, worrying that it would make him sick, and mad at myself for not thinking about it beforehand. It is a corn plant (doesn't grow corn, sort of looks like a palm tree). He didn't seem to eat anything but kind of just chewing at the leaves.

A couple hours later he started acting nauseous, walking around licking everything, pulling at the carpet and when taken outside eating grass. I immediately started thinking of what he had gotten into that night and looked up the plant, which of course says it can be poisonous to dogs :sad: We called the emergency vet who referred us to poison control. She had us give him a tablespoon of Maalox, which seemed to make him better, he calmed down and went to bed with us about an hour after taking the medicine. He didn't vomit at all, and had hard poop this morning!

Anyone have any experience with their dogs getting into a plant? I feel good that he didn't vomit or experience any horrible symptoms besides acting nauseous, but just worried while he is at home right now and I am at work...if he was going to get sick, and vomit, he would have by now right? Just hoping I don't get home to a very sick dog :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
Sounds like he will be just fine. Our guys have gotten into some weird things outside and usually just yack it up.

You did the right things and as long as he continues to eat, drink and have normal poop he should be fine :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good news...he is definitely his normal self, and I am just a huge worrier :) Better to be safe and pay Poison Control $65 to tell us to give him some Maalox, than to be sorry, right!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
Good news...he is definitely his normal self, and I am just a huge worrier :) Better to be safe and pay Poison Control $65 to tell us to give him some Maalox, than to be sorry, right!?
I agree, I worry too and would much rather be safe than sorry. Glad he is back to normal :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
I looked up the list of plants, all of them seems to be poisonous. You did the right thing. My beagle wanted to eat all the plants I had , actually he ate a little Ficus Elastica, since then I have no more plants:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
We have a similar problem with our beagle, but fortunately its a mint plant. He loves to chew on it likes its gum!
I have never been able to control Manny's addiction to plants, let alone food! But because of his allergies, I have had to get rid of my Jasmine!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top