Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello BW! It's me again, Cooper's mommy. I'm worried about yet another thing that I noticed just tonight while bathing Cooper.

I noticed that one of his left hind toes, you know the bottom part of their paws, usually gray or black in color, has become completely pink! It seems softer than the rest of his other toes that are still gray/black, but I couldn't see any open wound or anything like that. I tried touching his pink toe and check for a reaction from him that would signal pain, but he didn't show a significant response from it.

I'm worried that it might worsen overtime though. It feels to me as if his paws are being scraped off every time he walks on asphalt/concrete, which we have to do everyday by the way. Would you recommend little shoes or booties for him to protect his soft paws? Merci d'avance!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think it is highly possible that the pads can be worn down or irritated from walking on too much gravel or concrete/asphalt. If he will tolerate it perhaps try putting some infant socks on his feet or purchase actual dog booties. I would suggest you just keep a close eye on it to make sure it isn't something even more serious.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Is is possible that the pad on that paw has always been pink and you just didn't notice it before? Most of Maggie's pads are black, but she has a couple that are light pink in color, and have been that way since birth...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey's pads were almost all pink when she was a puppy and have gotten darker with age. I just looked at them and they are still a little pink in between the pads where they don't hit the pavement as she walks. I wouldn't worry about it as long as Cooper doesn't appear to be in any pain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think it's anything to worry about. Squeegee's pads are different colors, some pink and some black. I think I remember that Cooper was an ex-research hound, right? Probably his little pads just need to toughen up from walking on the gravel and concrete. Squeegee were really soft and smooth when we first got him but after 6 mos of daily walks they now feel like callouses. In my opinion, I don't think you need to worry about booties as it will just slow down the toughening up process of his pads unless he really seems bothered by it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts