Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do y'all feel about them? Henry loves them and has had no problems eating them, but I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. Also, while Henry is not allowed to have table scraps, I do like to give him people food as a treat (peanut butter, baby carrots, and cheese). What's some other stuff that's safe to give him? My other two dogs before him were terrible beggars, so I've been really cautious about the human grub. My cockers would eat ANYTHING, but I'm sure some of it had the potential to make them sick. I used to give them grapes or raisins as a treat, but lately I've heard all sorts of scary stuff about them. So I'm curious...

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel gets pig ears but only under close supervision... he likes to try to swallow them whole after getting them soggie enough...

me and my parents do give him scraps...but only certain things... and only in his bowl.. never from our hand and only after we have eaten... i put things in a kong for him all time... diesel does not like peanut butter though...

but ya grapes, raisins, onions i have heard... and of course chocolate is a no no

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't give Chloe raw-hide. It's not very good for them. Also, if I buy treats, I check the nutrition value and try not to buy lots of processed treats.
Human food: carrots (includeing baby carrots), broccoli, pumpkin, butternut squash, peanut butter, cheese. She usually doesn't get scraps, but sometimes I give her a little bit of chicken, if it's not from a heavily spiced dish.

Most times she eats after I do...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Melissa: I was just about to post about a new treat I found for Maggie so your post was good timing. Found "100% Pure Sweet Potatoes"/Healthy Snax by Doctors Foster & Smith in Target today -- no fat, no preservatives, fillers or additives. They look a bit like the chicken fillet treats but they are softer. It took Mags a bit to figure out that she needed to really chew it which was good as it didn't disappear in seconds. I've ordered other treats in the past from their catalogue - Target started carrying their products not long ago. A bit pricey but it is very, very hard to find low fat, tasty treats.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Diasy does have a rawhide bone, but that's it as far as rawhide goes. She gets carrots, some type of liver treat (can't remember the brand), peanut butter, and cheerios.

Raisins, grapes, and onions are bad for dogs or so I've been told.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: judymaggieMelissa: I was just about to post about a new treat I found for Maggie so your post was good timing. Found "100% Pure Sweet Potatoes"/Healthy Snax by Doctors Foster & Smith in Target today -- no fat, no preservatives, fillers or additives. They look a bit like the chicken fillet treats but they are softer. It took Mags a bit to figure out that she needed to really chew it which was good as it didn't disappear in seconds. I've ordered other treats in the past from their catalogue - Target started carrying their products not long ago. A bit pricey but it is very, very hard to find low fat, tasty treats.
Wow, I think I'm going to try to find these treats next time I go to Target. I've never seen them there before, but last time I was there, they were in the process of revamping their pet accessories/food section, so maybe I'll be in luck!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Judy, I'll have to check out Target for those treats. They sound yummy!

Melissa, I give Jersey pig ears. Not the regular ones that you can buy in bulk though. The ones I get are made by Merrick and are acutually sow ears. They are much larger and are air puffed and individually wrapped. The texture is totally different from your typical pig ear. Jersey loves them. At first she'd down one in an hour, now she keeps them for at least a week. Jersey can't get large peices off at a time so I'm not so worried about her choking on anything. They are kind of expensive, about $2/each. I don't give them to her too often, maybe twice a month since they last so long now. You can check them out at the Merrick web site.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
No Pigs Ears in this house. I have had to pull too many out of Murphy's throat to stop him from choking. They both like the Science Diet Z/D Biscuits. So thats what they get.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
No pigs ears or rawhide here, Spencer got really sick off of a rawhide once. My two (due to food allergies) get pretty natural treats. they get dehydrated chicken strips, lamb lung, pork lung, beef lung, wheat free veggie biscuits and fruits and vegetables. Out of everything, carrots are what Spencer asks for the most.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Rawhide and pigs ears are banned in this house. A friends basenji choked to death on the remains of a rawhide bone. Ours get 'lights' dried lining of the stomach, it stops them wanting to eat poo. Occasionally they get scraps of our food, but in their bowls.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh I hate pig ears. They smell horrible and I'm afraid Bloom might choke on that. Especially because she doesn't even chew her food she just swallows.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm with Joe and Spencer's Mom, no rawhide, pigs ear in my house either...carrots are my dog's favorite, they even paw at the fridge door if I happen to forget!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Blue does get rawhides, but we give him giant bones and monitor them. Once they get to a point that we know he might swallow them (remember the sock incident?) we get rid of them and start over.

He LOVES carrots and cucumbers. He is not to keen on celery, but if that's all he has he will eat it!! I have a great treat we make with plain lowfat yogurt (with live cultures), honey, dried apricots chopped up and cut up apples (sometimes he gets bananas or dates in there also). It keeps in the fridge for three days, but I just make a small bowl of it at a time (and yes, I eat it with him!!!). It is very good to clean their digestive track and keep it health with the live cultures. If folks are interested I would be more than happy to post the full recipe for this treat.

Lately we haven't really be buying many treats other than the small marrow milk bones as we have been making treats. Mom has ambitions of opening a dog bakery so Blue is a little spoiled!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys. I figured we'd be a house divided about the pig ears, lol. Target does have some nifty doggie stuff, I agree...thanks for that one. Mostly around here it's the stuff I mentioned plus pupperoni (how did we all forget that one??!!), milkbones, and Nylabone's Healthy Edibles occasionally. I'm also always trying out new stuff I find on the shelf as far as edible bones go, like BusyBone by Purina. Henry demolished their '1 Hour' bone in about 15 minutes!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I forgot that we give Blue the Milk Bone Steak Chews also. Those last about 10 minutes, but it gives me 10 minutes!!!

And after a long day, here is that yogurt recipe!!!

1 Banana or apple, finely sliced
2 oz dried apricots, chopped
1 oz dates, chopped
3 1/2 oz low-fat live natural yogurt
1 teaspoon honey

Just toss it all together and serve. I prefer to have the snack together in our house!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif Although not all of the dogs we have given this to liked it. Blue didn't mind though, he cleaned their plates for them!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't get Kioko pig ears because I find it disgusting personally and can't stand watching dogs eat them. HA HA HA.

I DO allow her to eat plain rawhide bones because she LOVES them...like...almost as much as ice cubes. I let her have them for one evening. As soon as the loopy ends start looking loose, I take it away from her. I just buy a bag of them and there's like ten of them in there, and I give her one before bedtime to calm her down for bed.

Other than the rawhides, she gets:

1.) Ice cubes
2.) Baby Carrots
3.) Greenies treats (we're not buying these anymore, though, because she seems not to like them anymore. It's odd. She used to just BEG me for them and now she won't eat them.)
4.)Nylabone for "average chewers"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.