Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timber has now been with me for 3 weeks and some things have settled and others started.

Good things - She now sleeps at night straight away, absolutly no fuss. - She is starting to get use to toilet training. - She has yet to destroy anything valuable.

Bad Things - She does like to bite an awful lot, all the time when you try to play with her, but recently i have made a sound and that has got her to stop. - She is now in her own room in the day, while we get her out and in the garden but whenever someone goes by she tends to make a big fuss and the howling kinda starts. - She doesn't really like puppy treats which makes rewarding alot harder.

But generally everything is going "A OK". ALOT more hard work than I could have ever imagined, but then you just look at her face and it's sooo cute so it is all worth it. This is her just over 10 weeks old. (the bottom picture is my favorite :))

PITURES ...

zzz zzz "food food" zzz zzz

Wakes Up. "Hello. Can I have my food please?"

"Pllllleeeaaaaaaaasssssseeeeeeee"

"Yay Food" ... "yum yum"

"Thank you. Now lets PLAY!"

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Oh she is BEAUTIFUL Peter! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif
It does get easier, eventually, but it's well worth the work in the beginning!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Lovely pics Peter...yep puppies are a LOT of work, we did warn you hehe.

Saying "OUCH" in a hurt voice is a good method of making her understand that biting you is not acceptable. Play biting is normal just incase you were worried that you had got yourself a biting dog. As long as you are consistent in teaching her it's not allowed she will stop doing it soon enough.

If she doesn't like puppy treats try just giving her the normal dry kibble as a treat or a very small piece of cheese or plain cooked chicken cut into tiny bits.

The pictures are great, she's grown quite a bit too.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
What a beautiful little girl! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif I really like the last picture, too. We haven't had a puppy for quite some time, but I do remember that they like to nip with those sharp little teeth. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh, she is just precious! Yep, those puppy faces can get away with so much because they are so cute.

Duke got tired of puppy treats in school because you give so many, he just stopped eating them after a while. The trainer recommneded liver treats and she had some to try. Wow! What a difference, he loved them! They can be found at pet stores and it's nothing more than dehydrated beef liver that's cut into cubes (some smaller, some larger, which is gerat for training).

Enjoy the puppy months, before you know it, she'll be a big girl.

·
Registered
110 Posts
She is so beautiful!! It looks like she has a big personality! I especially love the last picture /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Timber is just precious! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif It sounds like you are doing a great job with the training. Keep those pictures coming!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
She is ADORABLE! Yes, puppies DO like to bite a lot - they're "teething" and those little sharp teeth HURT - and believe me I have the scars to prove it. I usually say "NO BITE" in a very stern voice - sometimes a tap on the nose along with no gets the point across. I don't know if you watch "The Dog Whisperer", but the noise he makes (can't really describe it), but it does seem to work to let them know it's a no no. The trainer on "It's Me or the Dog" (Victoria) also makes that same noise. It gets their attention - kind of an "uh uh", but not really.

Keep those pictures coming.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Wow, Timber is gorgeous/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif. I love the last picture too.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Registered
889 Posts
Timber looks great. Things will settle down, she will start to slow up in 2015. Happy days

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your comments i think she is gorgeus and we just had her official name through from the kennel club and it is ... "Queen of the Pack"

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Beagle pups need understanding and patience from their owner. All of that is repaid 10 fold by the long lasting life together.

Glad it is working out for both of you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts