Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to bring you up to date on Phillys liver issues.

It all started almost 1yr ago (February) when we took him in for his neutering. The pre-op bloodwork came back with elevated liver enzymes. His ALT and ALKPs where 792 and 639. Normals should be in the 100-200 range at their highest. We held off on the neutering for a while incase these numbers were due to bone growth as he was about 6months at the time. In March the numbers were in the 800's.

We then proceded with a Bile acid test to see how his body was dealing with food and bile digestion. They take two readings one on an empty stomach, then after some food.
Bio acid reading 1st sample 108 
normal for 1st 0 - 6 
Bio Acid reading 2nd sample 25 
Normal for 2nd 0 - 15 

Phil then had a liver biopsy. The liver and all was in good shape visually. The pathologist reported "there is likey an aquired or developmental Bile Duct abnomality".

He was moved to a Lamb/Rice diet and was prescribed Denosyl and Milk thislte.

In October we retested and his numbers were 723/1500. Our Vet began working with a Dr of Internal medicine. In November his numbers were 1428/2779. We then began a Vegetarian diet (MediCal) and prescribed Ursodiol.

December his numbers were 853/733.

This is were we are currently and the Vet wants to retest again April.

We still do not have any definate answers or diagnosis.

During all this time he has never appeared lethargic or sick. His appetite has been average, but not the full ravaging beagle appetite you would expect. Sometimes his stool will contain bright orange/yellow bile if he has not eaten on an "off" day.

I think thats about it. It's been a long year...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Andrew, I mentioned in the introduction forum about Traveler's and Snickers' treatment with milk thistle, vitamin E, and Sam-E for liver problems. For some reason, I didn't ask for Traveler's readings when they came back so high. I think I was in shock. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Jen did get the readings for Snickers, and you'll find that information in this thread:
http://www.abeagleworld.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005760

Good luck, and I hope you can find an answer soon.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Andrew: Sounds like you have a good team working on Phillys case -- at least the numbers are coming down. My Maggie's vet and internist are trying to diagnose her problems right now -- it is difficult going through all the tests and still not having a diagnosis. Hopefully, Phillys' tests in April will be even better and he continues to feel good!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hope the reason for these high values will be found soon and treated. Shall keep my fingers crossed that all ends well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts