Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to post this. Has anyone ever done the Petco/Petsmart puppy classes? I'd like to teach my pup sit, down, come, stay, heel (just the basics) and understand how to continue teaching them/maintaining these commands at home. Would a Petco/Petsmart class be beneficial? Or should I find some private lessons?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I am about to do a class at Petco. I had a private lesson and it turned out that the lady I had the private lesson with is the same trainer that does Petco classes! I have heard it depends on the trainer you get. Some are very good, some not so good. I can tell you private lessons are much more expensive! Maybe you could go watch a class before signing up for a session?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I did Petsmart. The trainer was a friend and is very good. As Buffy suggested it might be a good idea to go out and watch a class or two or talk to some of the trainers and get a feel for whether they are a good match for you. The classes were worthwhile for us.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I didn't do! any of them I mean. I went through 1 on 1 training with my dog back home 12 years ago and with books refreshing my memory, internet tips, friends and the fact that you never stop training a dog, I implemented everything when working with Chloe.

I know of many friends here that went to Petsmart with their pups, and are mostly very pleased.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
We took Caesar to puppy kindergarten at PetSmart and he did well. It was hard because all he wanted to do in class was play with the other dogs. The real work was done at home. If your not sure watch a class and see if you like it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Lucky and I are signed up for classes that start on Saturday. I had to work hard to be able to work with the schedule, so I hope they go well. My husband is on call for work and I have an 18 month old son, so committing to a six week course is a big deal for us!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We took Jersey to classes at Petsmart. We did the first two sets of classes there. We all enjoyed them and thought they were good. I wasnt' dedicated enough to do the training on my own. I needed the structure of a class to make sure I kept up. I like Buffy's idea. You may want to observe the classes to see if they are the right thing for you and Peanut.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky and I did beginner and intermediate classes at Petsmart. Lucky was the star in each class. He did really well. I loved our trainer though. Some of the trainers were not as good as ours. I would suggest watching the classes first but I definitely recommend them as long as you get a good trainer.

·
Registered
667 Posts
We took Snoopy to Petsmart, he did well and still follows the commands!!

There is a trainer there that saw how terrified Snoopy is of people last week.. and she is trying to get him back into a class to work on his confidence and try to get him more comfortable with people (we have had him for a few years, I really dont think this will happen) but she said she would take Marble in for free....Im thinking about it!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
We took Duke there for his puppy classes and he loved it! We had a good trainer who had 2 beagles in the class and it's amazing how much better behaved they both were by the end of the course. Duke learned a lot and he loved the atmosphere when we went there. Very stimulating, with a lot of activity and animals so it gave us a lot of situations to work with him in.

It's funny, though, part of every class, we had to walk them around the store to get them used to being in a store without trying to grab everything. Then later in the course, we taught them the wait command, where we have them wait while we took things off the shelves and shopped and they waited for us. I told Dave afterward, I think we just taught our dog how to shop at PetSmart! LOL

It was a good class, and to this day when we go to PetSmart, Duke heads straight back to where puppy school was and if we see the trainer, he insists on going over to greet her.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My oldest Beagle Shiloh, who is now 5yo, and I started with a puppy class at Petco - he successfully completed it but that was all we did there. The instructor liked to talk to much - not just about dogs but EVERYTHING. After this session, we just did our own thing for awhile. Then we somehow got started with a basic obedience class at Petsmart - we ended up doing the Intermediate and the Advanced classes also and Shiloh was also tested for and earned his Canine Good Citizen at Petsmart also. I did this after I decided to train for his therapy dog registration - he passed this evaluation also.

Now, I have had Shasta
at Petsmart for her basic and intermediate levels. The only reason we aren't continuing onto advanced at Petsmart is because there is a husband/wife team of professional dog trainers in our therapy dog group that we will start training with in a couple of weeks. I wanted to work Shasta with them since she will be evaluated this fall for her therapy dog registration - this way if there are any speifics that we need to work on for the evaluation, these trainers will know since they are also both evaluators for therapy work.

That said, I really enjoyed the classes at Petsmart - not just because of the training itself but you have available all kinds of scenarios that can help get your pup well socialized to other dogs/animals and to people - very important to me because of the settings that Shasta will encounter as a therapy dog.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Training, I have spent a lot of $$$ already. Well, let's not talk about it.
Charlie went through the puppy class at Petsmart. That lady was nice. But after that, they changed to a rough looking big guy. I guess he's ok, never train Charlie though.
So, I would suggest you go in and get to know the trainer first. See what techniques they use, watch a few classes, see if you like them. Ask a lot of questions, prepare yourself. Just like what you would do taking your child to a pre-school.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts