Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Duke and Violet have their bealgly mouths on everything in our backyard, we have avoided using any weed or insect spray for months. Needless to say, we have to find something we can use because now we are getting spiders galore and the rock garden is a pain to hand weed!

I know the local pet control service has non-toxic spray, but they want us to do a year's worth of service and we just don't have a problem that much to need it monthly. Usually every 3-4 months does the trick for us. As for the weeds, I found some stuff that said it was Safer, but still dangerous. Anybody have any products or home remedies we can try?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Zookeeper. we have to find something we can use because now we are getting spiders galore and the rock garden is a pain to hand weed!
My solution would be to relocate to a spider free zone.
Ick!!

I wish I had a solution. I know that Boric Acid is good for some insects, but I don't know about spiders. We get these giant wolf spiders here. I asked the guy that does our pest control at work how to kill them...he said with a big shoe. That the only thing that would kill them was DDT and that was banned years ago.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't know about spiders - but when I have insect problems, I use dishwashing detergent - or, in fact, any detergent. Many breeders use Dawn dishwashing liquid to bathe their dogs because it actually kills fleas - (I don't because we don't have flea problems here) - now if you were looking for something safe to use on tomato worms and other nematodes, I could help you there. For ant infestations I just spray them with diluted dishwashing liquid. If I don't have dishwashing liquid handy - any spray cleaner will work. You can keep the critters away till it has a chance to work - then rinse it off. Simple Green always advertises as being safe, but it's a darned good insecticide.
As far as a herbicide (weed killer), I don't really know. The guy that sprays my hill and trees every year says the stuff he uses is safe around the pets, but I don't know what it is. When I want to kill weeds OUTSIDE the yard, I usually use Round Up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes vinegar does work, but it will also kill grass and plants etc.
We are having a similar dillemma. But we are thinking of re-locating Baxters run area to a small side yard until next spring so we can weed and feed our lawn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.