Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I thought I have a very good plan for the furkids. Without realizing what I signed for in the contract, I just found out I owe the vet $1300 if I cancel the plan. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Marlin's plan renewed in January, till now is 6 months, and he died on 6/26, so I called for cancellation. They said since I break the contract of the year, I have to back pay the money that I have save with the plan. As if I wanted to break the contract by having Marlin died!
Now since Charlie's plan was renewed in July 07, and had not gone to the vet since then, I owe them nothing for cancallation. What should I do now?? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Marlin was old and needed care more often. Charlie is healthy and strong as steel, but what if?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maybe you should look at some independent insurance plans rather than a contract with the vet or veterinary hospital. Several of my friends are happy with VPI. I purchased Petcare because it does not exclude congenital or inherited conditions. Insurance for Maggie is about $400 a year. It does not cover routine things like vaccines but covers all major accidents, illnessess. VPI costs less but pays a percentage of every vet visit including routine care. I have read that if you have a contract with a hospital like Banfield you pay even if your pet is passes away.The contract cannot be terminated. If you do a web search for pet insurance you can find what is available in your state. On most of the web sites you can get a price quote and a list of what is included/excluded. I spent a long time reading and asking questions before I bought a policy. Its a gamble but I will be happy if I never need it and Maggie stays healthy.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll do more research, I'll cancel Charlie's insurance for now. We are with Banfield, the vet over there are doing great job. The only thing i'm not happy with is, I deal with who ever is available that day, so different vet each time. And the receptionist there is not that great due to work load. It is indeed a very busy office.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually work at one of the Banfields in Kansas. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I know of two ways to cancel a Wellness Plan early:

1) Pay the amount that you have saved over the course of your plan.

2) Pay the remainder of your plan off. This is usually the cheapest. Say your plan is $20 a month and you have 3 months left until renewal... you'd pay $60.

There is a third, but I can't remember it off hand.

Hope you get it all sorted out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I don't have a health insurance for Chloe... to what extent do you guys think its a MUST? So far the vet bills (shots and stuff) were fine... and there are (thank god) no other things that I need the vet for. I heard that those insurances don't cover neutering, unless the plan is very comprehensive, so I'm not sure what to do... :conf12:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
My plan does not cover routine care. I was worried because I have 4 cats also. Several are old and I know their needs will increase. Maggie was a puppy mill dog and I have no idea what is in her background. I plan ahead for routine stuff but was worried about major problems. My husband retired this year and I just feel more comfortable knowing that in the event of a major illness or surgery needed most of it would be covered. As cats get older they often have chronic renal failure and long term treatment for that gets expensive. I like knowing that I wouldn't have to pay for that and an emergency for Maggie. If you want something for routine stuff look at VPI. Several of my friends are happy with it. I have PetCare which is one of the few that covers congenital conditions. Be sure to read all the fine print and ask questions. If you decide to do this do it while your dog is young. They will exclude anything at all previously treated. Mine even specifically excludes removal of baby teeth because we had to have a few pulled. That seems silly because she has no baby teeth left. Its a gamble but right now for me it is peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chloe's mom, I'll just let the plan expire on its own, about $30 something a month for the rest of the year which is only 1/2 a year. Do other plans like VPI and Petcare has the same policy. It doesn't seem to indicate anywhere on there web-site.
Charlie is on a basic plan with Banfield, cost me $25 a month, a peace of mind as said, affordable, vet seems nice and personal touch which I like. Charlie is strong and will live forever!
Oh, I just pick up Marlin ashes yesterday in a very nice cedar box, now is sitting on my book shelf, resting. :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hi Charlie Mom...The website for VPI is www.petinsurance.com and Pet Care is www.petcareinsurance.com. Both websites describe their available plans and have a place to get a price quote for the plan you choose. You can get a variety of coverage levels. There are phone numbers you can call if you have questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts