Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the companies that offer pet insurance? I notice that AKC offers a plan and there are several other companies. Are any of these plans worthwhile for the big unexpected emergencies?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You have to read through the entire policy to see if its worth it for you.

Believe me, I wish we did have PI on Summer and Murphy. But would the policies have covered everything? I don't know, but they could have helped.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it's all a gamble, vet bills can grow very quickly in a short amount of time. and it's just that, insurance, something you may never need.

I would agree, do your homework and research before doing anything.

Also it depends on your commitment to your pet.

If something does happen and recovery requires you to spend long hours assisting in recovery, rehibilitation, rettraining or whatever, are you commited to seeing it through to full recovery?

would you quit your job to take care of your pet during recovery?

do you have a bail out number, say $2500 in vet bills, $5000, $7500, $10000 that you would put your pet down over paying out of pocket?

consider an accident as such, insurance pays $2500 vet bill and then drops you, you end up paying $100-$200/mo. in meds out of pocket.

sorry about the harsh questions, but you really need to think about the value of your pet and how much commitment you have to see through to the end.

The reason I say this is because some people have the attitute to put a pet down when vet bills get expensive and just go out and get a new pet.

BTW, My family put Pooder through $4k of vet bills, about $60/mo in meds that were not helping her grave diagnosis (hydrocephelous) we did choose to put her down becuase she had no life, just a seizing lump of flesh lying on the floor.

-dave

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We do not believe in a "bail out" dollar amount. We have easily over $10,000 invested in Murphy and over $5,000 in Summer. None of that includes regular visits and minor problems. When it comes to them, money is no object.

We would only consider PTS when we can no longer keep them pain free or their quality of life deteriorates. As responsible owners, it is our duty to know when to let go of our companions and not let them suffer. Its the hardest thing we may ever have to do, but it is the last act of kindness we owe to our four-legged family members.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are the pet health insurance companies in the US better than the ones in Germany? Because here they will cancel your plan once you actually start to use it. I have also heard from many dog owners whose plans where cancelled once their dogs reached a certain age (usually around 6). So you pay 120 Euro a month and get cancelled when you actually need the insurance. Is that also the case with most plans in the US?

A good alternative to pet health insurance, if you can't find a plan to fit your needs, is to put away a lump sum each month in a "dog account". If you put away each month the amount that you would have paid to a health insurance for your pet, you will be able to save quite a bit if nothing happens. Of course if something does happen before you have enough money saved up, you have a problem, but many pet insurance plans (at least in Germany) also only reimburse a relatively small amount in the beginning, and increase that amount every year only as long as the plan was not used.

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
A good way to find out what may be the best one it to talk to your vet. Vets usually deals with different one and can tell you why they prefer which one. Then, you can decide for yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Both mine goes to Bansfield Pet Hospital and they have their own health plan. I pay about $60 something per month(I've to check the statement)for both. Marlin the senior has the optimum plan covers more, but of course cost more. I would say its really worth it because over the year, being a senior dog, he has lots of problem. The lump in his eye and forehead should had cost us over $1500, but I paid $300 something. He gets a full mouth teeth deep cleaning every year. Discount on all lab fees.
Charlie is still very young to have any health problem, so they suggested the lower health plan.
I paid a lot less for his neutering.
So, in general, having a health plan is more practical. But please read the package.

Charlie mom

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to call my vet this morning and see if they have a recommendation. Yes,I have spent thousands of dollars on pets. We even found a horribly injured cat (the vet thinks he had been beat with a bat). He was so badly hurt my first thought was to have him put down but after watching his struggle to survive in the week it took to trap him I couldn't do it. We spent thousands of dollars to save him. I now have a one-eyed cat whose tongue sometimes hangs out because his mouth doesn't quite close all the way. He is a sweetie though. That is my reason for looking at insurance for Maggie. Just to help with emergency cost. Two of my cats are now considered seniors. I know that odds are that their costs will go up as their kidneys start to deteriorate. They are too old to insure so I am looking for something that will help cover emergency costs for Maggie so we don't have quite as much out of pocket at one time. I would love it if we had the insurance and never used it and Maggie has a long healthy life, but I do worry after reading some of the recent stories here. I will be doing some research during spring break next week.

·
Registered
262 Posts
apologies Jassy

rereading my post, I had no right to question your commitment to your pet. I'm sure you have a life long commitment, otherwise you wouldn't be here on beagleworld.

The "throw away your pet, when times get tough" attitude really irks me and I got off on a tangent.

I know some people have very little money in case of a pet emergency, and I know how difficult it can be trying to place a sick/injured pet.

if people choose a pet, they should be willing to see it through.. that's all my point was. oh and that vet bills add up quick...

-dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
We have taken a policy out for Ladybug. After that last scare when my husband had been out of work for six months and I was downsized from my job, I cannot/will not take a chance. It took us quite a while to get the vet :angel: who did her surgery paid off, even with help from imom and all of you at Beagle World. The policy does get us a discount on her shots and heartworm preventative for $30 a month. Although the discounts aren't the main point they do help, however, peace of mind knowing my baby can be taken care of immediately is priceless!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Dave. I know what you mean about throwing pets away. We had a woman bring her cat (seven years old) to our no-kill shelter because she got a new dark colored couch, and the cat's white hair was showing too much. We were full but we made room for the cat because I was afraid of what she might do with it. Then after all the paperwork was completed to relinquish her cat she wanted to look at some dark colored cats to replace the one she turned in. Needless to say we asked her to leave and called every other rescue in the area to warn them. I suppose she ended up getting a cat somewhere but the sad thing is she didn't even understand what was wrong about what she was doing. Sorry I know this is a beagle discussion board and I'm a little off topic but I couldn't resist sharing this story.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks,Cat. Have you filed a claim yet, and if you have did they pay as stated in your policy?I think I have narrowed it to three companies that have pretty good emergency coverage for major kinds of things. We are fine with the routine health care, teeth cleaning etc. I am waiting for the office manager at my vet to get back from vacation on Monday. She is knowledgeable about everything that happens in that office and will have a recommendation for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No, haven't filed a claim yet, however, we did go with the one that our vet recommended. I suppose some day we may have to file a claim but I really hope not!!!I don't know how they give us the discount - just gave my vet the number of the policy and she gives the discount. If there is any paperwork that she files to get a reimbusement I don't know. Perhaps I will ask - we have to go a week from Saturday for annual shots and expressing anal glands. I just can't get it right so I let the vet tech do it. Ladybug still loves her so she must be doing it right!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jassy: Coming in on this discussion a bit late but have you checked out the pet health insurance offered by AAA? I was surprised they had any. I also think that there is a link on the AKC website. From what I have looked at, I believe that there are policies that cover non-routine expenses and others that cover that as well as routine, the former being less expensive. Also, be sure to read fine print to see if policy covers pre-existing conditions. In hindsight, I wish I had insurance for Maggie. $200 today for labs/exam/meds; $300+ in 3 weeks for more tests ...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Judy, Thank you I will check. My Maggie is young enough that there are no pre-existing conditions but some of the policies don't cover anything they can say is a congenital defect so I am trying to read all the fine print on what is covered under that category.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts