Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I freaked out last night when I saw on the news that Prescription Diet was now part of the recall - since we use the r/d variety. They didn't give any specifics, just showed the Prescription Diet logo, so of coure I went immediately to the website - but as it says here it is just the feline m/d that uses the ingredient at issue and has been recalled. Whew.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is getting pretty scary!

It so happens that mine get the Alpo canned that is on the list. The numbers do not match up but you have to wonder how much to trust the lists.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I hate to say it, but maybe you should throw out all Henry's Alpo. Last week, Menu Foods said they were advising store owners to pull all the cans of the affected varieties, no matter what the dates were. Purina might wind up saying the same thing about Alpo.
This whole thing is getting very scary! The list seems to keep growing. Plus, this Hill's Science Diet cat food--I think that's the first time any brand of dry food has been recalled.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
How scary!! WE ran out of our Hills Science diet dry dog food and I got some Purina Beneful Healthy Weight for this weekend until I can get some of their Science diet dry next week.

Anyone know if Purina Beneful dry (with Moist Chewy Chunks) was on any of the re-call lists? thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I sure hope not, mom of 2, because Shiloh gets Beneful Healthy Weight Formula too! I google 'recalled pet foods' every day to make sure. When this first happened no Purina foods were on the list, but then they recalled Mighty Dog pouches. (Shiloh gets a spoonful of Might Dog to take her medicine every day, but it's canned and nothing with gravy.) And now Purina has recalled Alpo with gravy. Two days ago I would have said that we don't have anything to worry about with Beneful because no dry food has been recalled. But now with the Science Diet problem, I guess we just can't take anything for granted.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Mom of 2 Beagles:

Anyone know if Purina Beneful dry (with Moist Chewy Chunks) was on any of the re-call lists? thanks,
M2B: As far as I know, the only Purina product voluntarily recalled was the Mighty Dog in the pouches. Purina has been terrific in keeping their customers updated. I've been using (still am) Beneful/Healthy Morsels (same food) for three years and they love it. Purina has a customer service number on the bag that you can call for updates on the recall.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
This latest news prompted me to contact our vet on saturday morning! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Our animal hospital has 2 vet's & I was able to contact one of them instantly. :thumbup: I asked about the Hills brand of dry "T/D" & the "wet food" situation. The vet told me that "T/D" was "safe" as far as they knew...(but it might be a good idea to avoid feeding it to them until more is known about this problem)! AND, avoid ALL "wet" foods until this problem is resolved! The good news...is that the vet liked our "alternative to canned food recipie"! (But), instead of using stale/old bread...substitute the ramen noodles (3-4packets)or a quality pasta instead! (Pasta is a more refined "grain" equivalent than bread). And lastly... Here is a recipie for homemade "wet" dog/cat food. A pound of any kind of meat,(for dogs)...for cats, use canned salmon or mackarel,(btw, most dogs LOVE fish as well! Use @ least a 4 quart pot to add the meat & a pound of mixed vegetables & the pasta. Add one of the spice packets of the suitable mix from the ramen noodles, or a pinch of garlic powder for flavour & you will have at least a 2 week supply of "wet food" to mix with your dry food! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the recipe, NWR.

Looks like I'll be going Krogering today to buy chicken to make them chicken and rice. I wonder if I should give them brown rice instead? Is it better for dogs? And throwing in frozen mixed veggies will make them think that they are getting table leftovers. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Tee Hee.

Since I read about the Alpo recall, I tossed and turned and dreamed about it all last night. Since the recall started, I've got a pantry FULL of Alpo cans. I buy the Pedigree too but wouldn't you know I'm out of that. I'm afraid to buy anything else because you never know if it will be next on the list.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
We went to Three Dog Bakery ( http://www.threedog.com/_scripts/Editc20.asp?CategoryID=8 ) earlier this week and got some food there for Abby to try. She hasn't eaten canned food since all of this recall stuff started.

All these recalls are horrifying. I mean you read the list of things you're not suppose to feed the dog because it good hurt them, now ironically, it's the dog food that making them sick and killing them. Too many risks! At this point in time I'd rather pay someone to make the food for her and know that it's wholesome and alright for her to eat then by some store bought stuff that could kill her.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Someone in another dog group I'm in posted this list of foods that are NOT on the recalled list. It was updated today. (April 1) I thought it might be useful.

http://petsitusa.com/blog/?p=210

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I was talking to my mother about the recall and she was talking with a lawyer friend and he thinks that the recall is a trial or test run by the government or something to see how fast Americans can respond to contamination, since contamination of our water systems and such can be very easy and can affect millions.

He said that from the beginning it seemed odd that there was a wide range of foods that were affected...from the "cheap" stuff to the more expensive stuff.

How screwed up is that theory?!?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
We went to Three Dog Bakery ( http://www.threedog.com/_scripts/Editc20.asp?CategoryID=8 ) earlier this week and got some food there for Abby to try.
Jamie: The original Three Dog Bakery started in my hometown of West Hartford, CT. Their products are top-notch and the owners have a wonderful philosophy about dogs. Their treats are now available in Target and other stores. What's great for our beagles is that they have low-fat treats (apple & apple/cinammon). One of our supermarket chains, Publix, used to carry their dry dog food but I don't see it there any longer.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by judymaggie:
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
We went to Three Dog Bakery ( http://www.threedog.com/_scripts/Editc20.asp?CategoryID=8 ) earlier this week and got some food there for Abby to try.
Jamie: The original Three Dog Bakery started in my hometown of West Hartford, CT. Their products are top-notch and the owners have a wonderful philosophy about dogs. Their treats are now available in Target and other stores. What's great for our beagles is that they have low-fat treats (apple & apple/cinammon). One of our supermarket chains, Publix, used to carry their dry dog food but I don't see it there any longer.
Judy, I've seen the Three Dog Bakery treats at Target by me. I know you can buy them from Amazon.com as well.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Folks,

I use Sojourner Farms Dog Food Mix; You simply add water, meat and veggies. It is holistic and uses human quality ingredients. I usually mix up 4 days worth at a time and keep it in the frig. Ingredients:rolled oats, rye flakes, corn meal and wheat flakes, dried kelp, parsley leaf, nettles leaf, ground pecans, carob powder.

I have been feeding my dogs this product for over 1-1/2 years. Couldn't be happier! (P.S. The mix lasts a long time, so don't let the price fool you)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts