Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article on AOL news.com. I thought it was interesting as it talks about what we go through these days to protect the health of our pets. Personally, I know that there is no limit as to what I would do to help Jersey if she got sick or injured. When she got sick back in December and I took her into the vets office, the girl at the desk was new. She asked me what my financial limit on treatment was. I laughed at her and told her there wasn't one. Just make my dog better.

Here's the link...

AOL Article

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
yeah ... you can add me to the whatever it takes group also.......my babies are my children so I don't even consider costs. I have had healthy dogs so I am fortunate so far .....

·
Registered
448 Posts
thanks Jen will have to read the article

Unfortunately I am one of the owners that my love has no limits or boundaries, but $ is a slightly different subject. I love them SOO much but dont always have tons of money to give out to care for them. I finally had to realize that dogs have survived for many years without all the treatments that we can offer now.

Now dont get me wrong, when my new dog Chopper was limping around and stuff we took him to the vet and all that-didnt do the X rays or anything, because the vet said it wouldnt matter if the pelvis was broken or fractured, it would be the same treatment.

But I finally realized I cant call the vet all the time for runny noses and things like we do for our children. they get thru! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Judi and the gang

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My personal boundary with regard to pet care is whether or not the treatment will improve my pet's quality of life. I have had to make that decision with regard to previous dogs -- it's a tough one for me. I could definitely relate to the article's discussion about keeping our pets alive for us -- I have a real hard time letting go. Maggie is my equivalent of a child ... I tear up just typing this.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We would do anything for our dogs that would help them. However, if one were terminally ill and in pain we would have her/him put out of their misery. Our last beagle eventually had to be put to sleep. It broke our hearts. Beforehand we had spent a small fortune on treatment for her and we would do the same again.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I should clarify some. If Jersey were suffering and there was no hope of a healthy recovery, I wouldn't go to extremes to keep her alive. When Amber was in kidney failure, I knew when the time had come and Mike and I had made that difficult decision to let her go. The next morning she went on her own. We would have taken her that afternoon after work, but she made the decision for us. I love her even more for that.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All four of our dogs are on some kind of medication, although it's nothing expensive. It's a small price to pay to keep them healthy. In the past we had to have major surgery done on a pet, but we still considered it well worth the cost. Having said that, we do not believe in keeping a pet alive when it no longer has a viable quality of life. At that point, we tearfully do that which needs to be done. It's the last act of kindness we can give a beloved companion no matter how much it hurts us. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts