Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Furniture Carnivore Felidae Comfort Textile
This is it. After 16 years with her, we finally scheduled to put her down tomorrow morning. I took this photo last night, because it looks like she’s smiling. She was my first pet ever, my favorite birthday present, and I’ve had her for over half of my life. I’m going to miss her.

· Registered
209 Posts
Sending hugs and hope you are coping ok. Euthanasia's the hardest thing to go through. She is smiling in the photo, you gave her a wonderful life and she gave you lots of love. I had to put my Ally down in 2019, she was 18 - her leg broke from bone cancer and I still grieve when I think of it. Take time to grieve, it's so necessary!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sending hugs and hope you are coping ok. Euthanasia's the hardest thing to go through. She is smiling in the photo, you gave her a wonderful life and she gave you lots of love. I had to put my Ally down in 2019, she was 18 - her leg broke from bone cancer and I still grieve when I think of it. Take time to grieve, it's so necessary!
18 years is impressive. Wish I could have had her for 18 years. Euthanasia was very hard indeed. I wasn’t prepared for how quickly it would go. I was petting her soft head as it happened, and I felt her head go cold in seconds. It scarred me for a while, and I had to watch old videos of her to fill my mind with happy memories of her instead of having the constant image of her cold lifeless body in my mind. I’m doing better now. My second dog is helping me fill the void she left. I miss my « organic vacuum cleaner », as I liked to call her.

· Registered
209 Posts
18 years is impressive. Wish I could have had her for 18 years. Euthanasia was very hard indeed. I wasn’t prepared for how quickly it would go. I was petting her soft head as it happened, and I felt her head go cold in seconds. It scarred me for a while, and I had to watch old videos of her to fill my mind with happy memories of her instead of having the constant image of her cold lifeless body in my mind. I’m doing better now. My second dog is helping me fill the void she left. I miss my « organic vacuum cleaner », as I liked to call her.
I was sobbing. I continued to hold her in a big hug for at least a half hour after she passed. I'm sure they thought I was nuts and would never leave - my husband was concerned also, I think, that I'd gone off the deep edge. I'm crying as I write this; when we have to make that decision vs nature making it for us, it puts so much burden on our hearts. I'm glad you have another dog to console with and sure you other dog feels the loss as well.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was sobbing. I continued to hold her in a big hug for at least a half hour after she passed. I'm sure they thought I was nuts and would never leave - my husband was concerned also, I think, that I'd gone off the deep edge. I'm crying as I write this; when we have to make that decision vs nature making it for us, it puts so much burden on our hearts. I'm glad you have another dog to console with and sure you other dog feels the loss as well.
That’s what people keep saying, that my other dog feels the loss as well. I can’t tell if he does or not. He never really bonded with her, in fact he bit her not too long before her passing. I’m sorry for causing you to cry.

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Orange beagle, just sending really big hugs your way. Natty Boh is my beagle mix. Shelby was my big 'mostly' German Shepherd mix. I lost Shelby is November. The vets suspect it was leptospirosis. It hit hard and fast. She went from a vibrant 'young' 8 year old, to a senior over night. She spent three days in the emergency hospital, but her kidneys shut down and there was nothing to be done. We were with her at the end. We were blessed that the hospital had a private room and we were allowed to stay with her as long as we wanted. I kept kissing her ears, after she was gone. We were shattered and it still hurts.

Like your two, I can't really say that Shelby and Boh were bonded. There was never any aggression, but Shelby could be a bit bossy. She exhibited some bullying behavior that I would nip. Honestly, since she is gone, I think Boh is happier. He is 10 now. He loves other dogs. Likes to meet them on walks. When friends and family stop by with their dogs, he is happy to have them come inside. But he seems to enjoy being the only dog and getting all the attention.

I had an idea, if anyone is interested. While it's incredibly sad to think about our pet being gone. I love to think about what made my dog so special. They all have their quirks that make them so endearing - Sometimes annoying, but what I wouldn't give to have that back. Anyway, I thought maybe we could start a thread posting all the great things about our lost pet - how they were funny and unique. I think it would be bring more smiles than tears. I would love to hear about your special pets.

I know am not on here very often any more. Honestly, I'm not even sure I remember how to start a post, but if you want this, I will try - or I'll ask a smart person to do it. Cassie? LOL!

Hugs to all of you who have lost an amazing part of your family. 💕
Jan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts