Our Beagle World Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Thanks Glenda, I have save this on my file for future use.
I must agree the vet cost is outrages. Charlie's bill was over $500 + the surgeon's $99 just consultation.
I was in shock when they did an estimation for $500. I thought to myself I'm insured. But instead it was real, without insurance I had to pay $900 something. Some x-rays(turned out clean) and a examination. I better not let Charlie run too much or chasing squirrels. I'm wonder the vet should be able to read the x-ray, why sent me over to the surgeon.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We've used various people meds for our pups as well. We've used children's benadryl, robitussin, and the generic form of claritin (NOT claritin D). However, we've only done so after speaking to our vet and getting the correct dosage. Fortunately the doggie med Daisy takes is fairly inexpensive, but I know things can get pricey!

·
Registered
55 Posts
One time, Natalie got hold of pretty much an entire milk chocolate bunny. The vet said to give her Pepto at the dose previously mentioned. We got her to eat it by putting it onto bread. She clearly didn't like the taste but still ate it for the bread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great advice. Love that list. i have to enter my two ceents worth. Never ever be scared to ask your vet a question. Like why am i getting 30 pills for three days? Or can i use polysporin as opposed to this cream? They will respect you and they may understand that your financial situation is resticted.
Vets aren't the only ones who do this. Doctors often give prescriptions for remedies that are available over the counter.

Remember a well operated, clean and safe animal hospital is expensive to run.

·
Registered
350 Posts
when my dogs were spayed and neutered, they gave tramadol.
this is what we humans take,
mine were given 25mg per 6 hours,
its not over the counter, but it is like halfway between tylenol and hydrocodone. it works great for my migranes, but doesnt dope me out or seem to have any addictive properties.

we have used the peroxide when we discovered the dogs found rat poison, it worked almost instantly. and without much to do bout it all either. dogs didnt mind the taste, and when they had emptied their stomachs, back to business.

the pumpkin is great!!

and the vet here seems to always prescribe a product called
forti-flora, for diahreah.

as we all know the over the counter meds usually just cover the symptom, not the cause.
C.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maggie has had diarrhea off and on. I gave her Pepto Bismol and her stomach settled down. I asked my vet about giving her the Pepto and he said half a teaspoonful. She weighs about 13 pounds and that may be important. Also her breath smells bad, to me. My husband says she eats all kinds of stuff out in the yard, including her own poop. Now I have to rush out to scoop up poop before she can whip around and snarf it down again. She's like a cow--has to send stuff through her stomach twice to get the full benefit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your dog has just eaten something bad, use salt. A teaspoon of salt for a beagle. It sounds bad but make them swallow it. If they havent thrown up within 5 min repeat. I used this for my doberman (only 2 tbs) after she ate an entire box of chocolates. It sounds bad but its better than poinson. I would still suggest taking the dog to the vet after if it was posion. Just to be sure.

Hydrogen peroxide works as well, but only as a last resort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fourteen-year-old Maggie has reflux issues, so I've been giving her half a Pepto Bismol tablet about 15 minutes after she eats. It helps considerably. Because the Pepto comes from the Great Kitchen, it's obviously people food, and she eats it without question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Peptobismol....

We all know that Beagles love us, but their nose comes first!! Consequently, the are apt to pick up all sorts "bugs," running with their nose on the grounds. If I know one of my pack got into something that upsets the tummy I will use a pepto tablet. For more mysterious gut issues, I assume they have picked up some sort of "crud." IF there is no fever or other sign of acute illness, I reach for natural remedies before calling the vet. I have used various herbs successfully. I have been hearing a lot about colloidal silvers antiseptic properties from other groups. Can anyone tell me if they have any experience with this site?? Silver Colloids: Frequently Asked Questions

I look forward to hearing any input. In the meanwhile, keep in mind: Dogs aren't our whole lives, they make our lives whole!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Pepto has asprin in it which can be dangerous to pets.

For stool issues consider a 24 hr fast for a healthy adult dog
100% pumpkin for stool softner and also as a loose stool fixer upper with a bland diet for a couple days.

·
Registered
959 Posts
We have a pharmacist, who under the vet's directions, will create meds that are much cheaper for the pets in our area. The meds are usually much better for them than those off the vet's shelf and he will tell you that. He is a very holistic dog, recommends human meds in smaller doses for less times than we might have to use his meds. So along with the pharmacist and the vet, our med bill is so low...I often wish I could get my own meds like this. BUT always, and ALWAYS it's only under the vets care that I would give my boys human medicines

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
OTC meds can be very dangerous for pets. tylenol has liver complications.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone help??

My mother fed my beagle 2 plates of pot roast and fat. Today he is very lathargic and his back legs are shaking. He keeps licking his lips and his eyes look very tired. He once ate table food and he got colitis. Do you think I should take him to the vet or does anyone have any suggestions, because the vet is sooo expensive!!!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
lathargic = worrisome.
If he is drinking water that is good.
He may be tryin to throw up, mine does that after licking lips.

I would probably put a call into the vet and ask. lathargic and shaking is worriesome to me. Other wise a 24 hr fast should help.

Hope he feels better soon/

·
Registered
896 Posts
Years ago I fostered a Chow mix puppy who had severe coccydia. The vet had me give her pepto bismol as well as the RX for the coccydia becaus her diarrhea was so bad. I can't remember now what the dose was, but it was a big help. then, my rat Terrier had some other intestinal problems as a pup and another vet prescribed pepto bismol for her as well. Again, I don't remember the dose but it helped and neither dog had side effects from it.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.