Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's official! Penny is driving me nuts! Her nickname is Devil Dog! She gets into everything. I realize she's a puppy but sheesh! We've been having alot of behavior problems lately and I don't know what to do. For those of you who don't know, she's 8 months. She started off shy but now we are seeing her true colors. We've been trying to housebreak her which hasn't been very successful. She doesn't go in the house very often but she does go in her crate. Then out of the blue the other day after I had taken her outside twice on two VERY long walks we come inside and she jumps up on the bed and before I had time to tell her to get off she pees on the bed! I've heard of cats doing that but a dog? We told her no and put her directly outside. The next night the same thing only in the other bedroom on the other bed. It's just so frustrating. Also she chews on stuff. I realize thats just a puppy being a puppy. Then yesterday she did this... There is a basket beside the toilet that has extra rolls of TP in it. She grabbed one when I wasn't looking and tore it to bits. I told her no and took it away and was standing in the bathroom putting on my make up and she just kept coming back and coming back again for it. I even hit her nose and she just kept trying. She just doesn't learn! I'm just so frustrated, I don't know what to do! I can deal with this stuff because I understand that it's a puppy thing but the peeing on the bed thing has got to stop. We keep the doors shut to the bedrooms so she can't get in but she is just not getting the concept of housebreaking. Since she was an outside dog it's like she thinks her crate is where she's suposed to go the bathroom and well I don't have a clue why she chose the bed. The thing is we always take her out for really long walks and she won't go. HELP!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I just wanted to clarify something. I love her to death, I'm just upset with her right now and out of ideas, so any would be useful. I didn't mean to sound so harsh about the baby. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds like the crate is too big for house training. If she was in a smaller crate that would make her lay in a pile of poop, then she will mre then likely not go and hold it.

As for the bed, could be a marking thing, or she just smells the scents there from the last time she went on the bed.

As for getting into everything, pick everything up off the floor and anywhere she can get to. that is part of having a dog, just like childrens you got to proof the house! hard huh! lol

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would put the crate lining in the washing machine so that whatever smell of her discharges will be eliminated, then block part of the crate so that it's a little smaller for her.
I don't know what your schedule is, if you are working outside of the house or otherwise, BUT!!! I would try to wear her out a little bit as early in the day as possible. Take her to a park in the morning (even with a 30ft leash) and make her run after you, play with a ball, take a long walk with her, whatever you can do to make her tired.
Then she will be too tired to vandalize the house.
Also, buy 2-3 kongs and stuff them with things she likes, freeze them so that you always have one ready for her, that will keep her busy for a couple of hours.
Then, I would also spray everything I can around the house with bitter apple spray... it might deter her from chewing everything.
On top of all that, I would work with her on her behavior and do 2-3 10 minute sessions of training every day.
I bet that after couple of weeks you will see a huge difference!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll definitely try the bitter apple spray. I put her bed lining in the washing machine every single day and although the crate may be a little big she does lay in it. When I come home she's covered. Poor dog, she gets a bath every single day she poops in her crate. I will try the ideas though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Now that you mention the fact that she is covered with her own poop and the crate is a mess, you should really consider the fact that she has separation anxiety!!!
Does she cry/bark/scream!! when you are not at home? Try videotaping her crate, even for and hour or so to see what is going on while you are not home.
It happened to me with Chloe at first, and this is one reason I didn't crate train her, she used to get so distressed that she pooped on herself, cried and barked so that neighbors started complaining.... this let me to my strange morning regimen: tiding everything, picking up stuff I want to "live", closing all the doors and giving her her kong before I leave for work. Obviously once a week I respray the things she likes to chew... but so far it's working not bad at all....

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know you must be so frustrated. Im a bit worried about my puppy too...he doesnt poop his crate though, but we havent left him in there anymore than 15 mins yet..but starting next week we have to start increasing the time.

How long is he in the crate? I know my puppy poos about 4x a day!! even if we dont feed him?? I think he is still so young that bowel/bladder functions may not be fully there yet. Just like children, every one has a different age in which they 'get it' about going potty.

Amanda

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do I just buy that bitter apple spray at the local pet store? Yes, I have thought about separation anxiety. When we put her in her crate she does cry at first and I don't know for how long. I will try the videotaping. I'm work 8 hours a day but I do go home and let her out when I go home for lunch. She doesn't ever hardly use the bathroom though. Many times she's already messed in her cage. My husband usually gets home around 4:00. (I get off at 5) and sometimes it's messy again when he gets home. I don't have time to take her to the park or anything in the mornings but we do go for really long walks and play. Sometimes she will use the bathroom in the mornings and sometimes not. I'm wondering if since she was an outside dog before we got her and she was in a pen and went to the bathroom in her pen maybe she associates her cage with a pen and going to the bathroom in it?? Also, she goes to obedience class and I work with her on her training and she has kongs in her cage. I'm just at a loss.

·
Registered
751 Posts
seriously think about using a divider in her crate, giving her only room enough to get up, turn around and lay down.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi Penny's Mom /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

First of all, I would start to incorporate a good solid routine that will help you lay the ground rules and teach Penny what is acceptable and what isn't, what the rules of the house are etc. You want to work on her respecting you, and knowing that you are the 'boss'.

Nothing in life is free is a great program and very easy and simple to incorporate into every day life. For example, my dogs don't get anything for nothing. If they want a pat, they have to sit on command before any attention is given. If they want me to throw their toy, they must sit calmly for it.

This is a great, simple and short article on NILIF:
http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=nilif.html

Are you taking Penny to obedience training? One thing that beagles need is a lot of structure and training! It might be worthwhile investigating if there is an obed club near you. If there isn't, 10 minutes of training a day will do Penny wonders and will provide a lot of mental exercise and stimulation.

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Sorry to hear you and Penny are having such a hard time. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif A few questions...Where does Penny sleep at night? Does she sleep in the crate or elsewhere? If in the crate, does she soil/wet her crate at night? You may also want to consider a possible UTI as the reason she is peeing in your bed( I have had that happen on more than one occasion with my older female beagle). The chewing is something I have to say I am not surprised you are still experiencing with an 8 mo old! Beagles are mouthy and they are stubborn. The bitter apple spray recommended is good, but I also have to tell you, I keep my b.room door shut because my 4 year old Ted likes to go in and nibble on about 3 feet of tp 2-3 times a week! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif DOn't despair, we're here for you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Penny does go to obedience class, and for the most part she does rather well. I've gotten a smaller cage for her and she is still filthy when I come home from work. On a better note, she hasn't peed on the bed anymore. We also got a baby gate which keeps her from going down the hallway to the bedrooms and the bathroom. Now as long as her mom can figure out how to operate the thing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif ! As for where she sleeps at night, she has a dog bed right beside our bed where she sleeps peacefully in all night covered up by a baby blanket and she never wets in it. I'm really starting to believe that this goes back to because she was an outside dog and she had a pen that her cage is her pen and thats where she goes to the bathroom. I wonder about that anyway.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I would definitely consult a dog behaviorist/trainer... It sound like she gets distressed in the cage, and that is why its dirty every day when you come home....
Can you restrain her in a room or an area with the baby gate (for one day) to see how she is doing then? Maybe the cage is just not for her... it happens /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Chloe's Mommy:
I would definitely consult a dog behaviorist/trainer... It sound like she gets distressed in the cage, and that is why its dirty every day when you come home....
Can you restrain her in a room or an area with the baby gate (for one day) to see how she is doing then? Maybe the cage is just not for her... it happens /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
This is an excellent suggestion. Josie made it pretty clear right off the bat that crates weren't her thing. Of course she was ~4 when we rescued her, so she already knew how she liked to spend her days (sleeping on the couch!). Containing her to a room with nothing valuable but toys and a pillow might not be a bad thing to try.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Emma was a rescue & lived in a cage 24/7. She was awful to house train. Being as she was in a cage her whole life I would not crate her. I would double baby gate her into the kitchen whil I was at work. (This is one gate on top of another.) At first she pooed & peed & walked right through it. After a long while she did get the routine & would hold it, but she almost always went at night. I was at my wits end. I bought a washable diaper from Petsmart & she would wear it all night. In the am I would take her for a walk & "Good Girl" her when she went. After a week or so I would keep the diaper off & she would be good for a day or 2 then the diaper went back on if she went.
I know a lot of people don't like it, but there is something to be said for putting their nose in it. After a year Emma was still pottying on my floor at night so I started putting her nose in it. Within a week or 2 it completly stopped. No diaper, no baby gates, no potty pads, NOTHING! In the past few months she has only had 1 accident & it was my fault so there was no punishment. (I slept too late.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts