Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Penny a sister this weekend! I've always wanted a chocolate Lab and believe it or not we found a full blooded one at the local pound. My biggest concern however was health problems. She looked great though, very active, nice coat, etc... Anyway, took her to the vet first thing and unfortunately found out that she has heartworms. Even the vet said it seemed strange because she wasn't coughing and was very active so it must be early stage. Anyway, I spoke with the lady at the pound and because she really liked the lab and did not want to put her down (I of course didn't want that either) and she was so happy that she had been adopted she offered to pay for her heartworm treatment. Me, being the big softy I am, well, I'm already attached to her. I just couldn't believe it. I guess it's meant to be. Anyway, she's getting the first shot today and staying the night at the vets and getting the 2nd shot tomorrow and this is all new to me. Has anyone ever been through this before? Any advice for me?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
No advice, just congratulations on your new family member! Bless you for saving the lab girl and giving her a wonderful forever home. I hope she comes through the heartworm treatment with flying colors!! And how kind of the shelter lady to offer to help with the costs. I love chocolate labs too--they have the most beautiful golden eyes!! What is her name? Hope you can get a picture when she comes back from the vet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her name is Shelby. Good news. She had her first injection and the vet says that she is still doing good. She still is active, which she is in a kennel because she can't be too active. She's supposed to take it easy. But anyway, she came through everything good. I'll try to get a good picture of the two girls when Shelby comes home from the vet. They met last night and they got along well so thats good. Hopefully everything continues to go well.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition !!!

I have been down the heartworm treatment road. My shepard/boxer mix had a mild case (no coughing and still active) when I rescued him at 15 months of age. He also had the 2 injection treatment and he actually handled it pretty well. The most important thing to remember is that the injections are used to break down the worms in the heart into pieces that will pass through the bloodstream and out of the body as waste. Therefore, it is very very important that the activity level is very low for at least the next 4 to 6 weeks. I'm sure your vet will let you know how long. Only leash walking and no running at all since you don't want big chunks to break off and cause a clot anywhere in the body. She will then be retested for heartworms to make sure that they are indeed gone and then she will need to be on heartworm prevention.

Scooby got lots of extra TLC during his recovery and he is now 5 years old and as healthy as a horse. She will have a normal long life after she has been treated for them.

BTW does she have a name and you know how we all love pictures here ??????

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Congratulations and thank you, for taking in a rescue. Hope all goes well with the treatment.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My first two dogs, Shef and Beaujolais, had heartworm, one mild, one not so mild and both were treated with the 2-shot method. I remember sitting up all night with them as I was so scared something bad would happen. It didn't! They both came through the treatment fine with no long-term problems. Shef was a large shepherd (90 lbs.) -- Beaujolais was a great dane mix (85 lbs.). They lived to be 14 and 15, respectively, and, considering they lived in the tropics, were large dogs and came through heartworm treatment, they did great!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have no experience with heartworms, so can't offer advice. However, thank you for rescuing Shelby. :thumbup: Labs & beagles seem to be a good match.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sorry, no suggestions here either :redface: But I'd like to congratulate you on your new addition and I truly hope that Shelby will come through the treatment superbly.

Don't forget to post pics soon /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Sorry, no advice, but did want to congratulate you on the new addition to your family. We'll be waiting for pics of your two girls together!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Congratulations on Shelby!! She sounds lovely. :thumbup:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can't give you any advice on heartworms as they do not exist over here. Good luck on the adoption, beagles and labs mix really well. We used to have a black lab and thet all got on fine.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! When I got Ginger three years ago, she had a "medium" case of heartworms. She too was treated with the two-shot treatment and is fine now. The most important thing after treatment is that you MUST keep the dog inactive for a few weeks (can't remember exactly how long) to properly expel the dead heartworms. I'm sure the vet will give you all the particulars--I just kept Ginger indoors during that period, and used a leash to take her outside to do her business.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I promise I'll post pictures soon. I just talked to the vet and she got her second injection this morning and she is still doing well. I went to see her last night and she was still her sweet self. I'm really excited about this because I think it will also help Penny become more confident. She's so shy. Anyway, I'll keep you posted but we are bringing Shelby home tonight. She'll have to stay fairly calm, no running, for about a month. Thanks for the info. Please keep the prayers going that everything continues to go well and we'll have a negative test in a few months. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Aww! Labs are such sweethearts. Since my Dad has said he wants a big dog to gaurd the house (if we get it) I may well end up adopting two dogs if and when we move. I know he has a soft spot for Labs.

You saved another life! Thank you from the doggie world!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Labs and beagles go together well. Penny will love her big sister. Don't know much about heartworm except I talked to my vet about what to do if the Bagel and I were to travel to areas where they have Heartworm and she (my vet) said avoidence is easier than cure but early treatment is the best. Sounds like your saved Shelby's life and your saving her life with the heartworm treatment. Bagel and I are happy for Shelby, Penny and you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts