Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an issue, or did have an issue with their beagles peeing on the lounge?

They seem to think it's great to sleep on the lounge, get up and pee, then go back to sleep. It's frustrating. We've kicked them out now because we got a new lounge suite and we don't want it stinking of pee or being ruined.

They've always pee'd in their beds and we were told it was a pack thing where they pee on things to claim it as theirs and establish pack position. Becuase they are sisters, they are more prone to proving who's top dog. This seems to be our only issue. They don't fight (expect play fight), they share things, eat their food equally... just try to claim things of ours as theirs.

Did anyone else have this problem with their beagle and suggest how to stop it? Yes they are spoilt and are allowed to sleep on the lounge at night.. but after allowing them the first night of having the new lounge and them peeing on it 20 minutes after I went to bed, they are banned until they realise it's not to pee on but to sleep on.

Do I go back to the basics and take them out at 10pm for a widdle, then wake them up at 6:30 for a widdle.. I thought they'd be old enough to be past all this. They've stopped peeing and pooing inside when it rains, we just need to get past the urinating on the lounge.

Any suggestions?

(... Erin)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do they just get up and squat or are they trying to make the couch comfortable and pee?
One of my dogs makes her bed by pulling and circling trying to make it comfortable and out of nowhere without stopping she pee's and she knows she did it because she lays down and licks it! So we tell her Just Lay Down!I also wonder why she does this! It could be claiming it, because mine are still sorting out dominance and the closer in age the harder it is!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Do they do this all over the house or just in the lounge...if just in the lounge, seems like they think it is OK for some reason.....try to catch them in the act and scold them..it is unacceptable!!!! Keep that in your mind..this is your stuff and they need to know that the behavior is not allowed.

If you can catch them in the act, I think you can train them quickly..if you havent tried that already...then about walking them, we walk Snoops as late as we can..right before bed, so he will sleep all night...thus WE sleep all night

Also, Snoops has had many accidents...all of them in the bed.. We just moved to California and got a new bed, mattress, sheets, ect.....OMG..Snoopy peed on the bed the first night...ahhh...he was sleeping, im sure it was in his sleep, but the cost of dry cleaning...ahhh!!!

good luck
Manda and Snoops

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pegasus, it's only on the lounge and their beds, which is why I think it's a marking territory thing.

We'll try taking them for a walk tonight before bed as late as we can, then leave them in and see if they pee. If they do, Andrew has said that's it, no more sleeping on the lounge. I'll have a little word to the girls when I put them to bed "no peeing on the lounge or daddy will kick you out!"

I was thinking of trying to find some plastic to put on the lounge, then their blanket so if they do pee, it doesn't ruin the lounge. BUT, that's not teaching them that it's wrong to pee on the lounge.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Female dogs do not usually try to mark terriorty like males do. Also if the dogs pee in one spot,say the lounge,you clean it up but also need to put some type of deodorant or scent coverup on the spot. Remember beagles have a real strong sense of smell and even though have cleaned a spot their odor stii lingers. Once a dog starts useing one spot they will return to that same spot as long as their odor is still there. The odor to them in that one spot is like putting up a sign that says "pee here". But it is very strange for any dog to do their thing close to where they sleep. You may have another problem ! You usually can buy pet ordor coverups whereever pet supplies are available. Hope this helps! Worked for me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we've been putting them outside of a night time as Andrew and I don't want the new couch ruined.

We are allowing them on the lounge, but only when we are there.

Last night Sally was walking around and looked like she was just trying to get cumfy, until she squatted and boy did she get in trouble. I felt soo aweful after hitting her nose and putting her outside. She sat at the gate with the biggest, brownest eyes and a little tear rolling down her cheek. I left them outside for about 10 minutes while I cleaned the lounge up and went outside. She was a bit hesitant to come to me and this made me feel worse /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I can't believe she did that! But I guess it was good to scould her while she was in the act. I thought Leia was the norti one that pee'd on the lounge, guess Sally was trying to pull the wool over our eyes!

It will start warming up a little bit here soon as we head into spring and they won't need to be inside on the lounge during the night for warmth.

Do you think they'll forget this behaviour for next winter? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Though some dog owners will disagree a good verbal scolding is really only affective right after the act or when they are caught in the process. Otherwise they know they are being scoldded but not "what for". Febreeze makes a product just for pet orders and this is what I have used in the past. Forgot,you don't live in U.S. so don't know if this is available. But I would suggest that you use some type of "scent cover" or you will continue having the problem next year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Peeing in the dog bed

I have read the posts about dogs peeing in the beds, on sofas, in people's beds, etc., but this seems to be mainly either male dogs marking, or puppies. We have Bella, now 16 months old, spayed at 1 year after her first heat. She peed in her bed and her crate as a puppy, and I kept washing it, and the vet said she should get over that as her bladder matured, and certainly it should improve after the spaying. For the past few months (not sure if it started right after the spaying) on her walks she is peeing a tiny bit here and there, again and again, rather than one lengthy pee in one spot as previously. It's like a male dog's marking. She also, after she pees or poops, is kicking back her hind legs several times in the dirt, as tho' she's covering the spot. But the main problem is she is now peeing in her dogbeds again and again. She has a pad in her crate, which she has access to at all times as we have the door off, and she goes into the crate and pees! She also pees in her dogbed in the kitchen. Often she will pee on the bed, or her towel, and then just lay in it. I wash the pad and bed every time with extra detergent, disinfectant and fabric softener, leave them in the sun for a day or two, and then throw them in the dryer with a dryer sheet. I'm trying to make sure there's no urine odor remaining. But she will frequently pee on the dogbed again within hours. So I bought a new dogbed Friday, and two hours after me putting it down for her, she peed on it! I am really fed up with all the washing or the beds, and of her after she lays in the pee. We never catch her in the act. She is taken out on really long walks (1/2 hour to an hour or more) in the forest 3-4 times/day. She also has frequent access during the day to the balconies, and will go pee there sometimes if we're late with her walk, so I don't feel like she's peeing on the beds because she has no other place to go. She gets plenty of exercise running with her dog pals, and she is not overweight or having any health or dietary issues. I hate to leave her without any pads or beds as the entire house is either tile or wood floors and it's cold. Even if I give her an old towel to sleep on while the dogbeds are being washed, she pees on the towel. I think this is unusual for a female. Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts