Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophie is almost 5 months old now and can hold her pee for at least 8 hours now at night. She is good throghout the day where she does her business outside. Now at night we let her in the living room with us and she scratches at her dog bed for a minute and then squats to pee on it. This has been happening for the last few nights. She also walked around into the dining room supervised by me and she squats to pee on the rug. This is right after coming in from outside and going pee. She knows she is wrong by her reactions after I scold her.
What is with this behaviour and how do I handle it?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Maybe you need to get a new dog bed. Maybe it has some scent on it that is making her want to pee on it?

Are you making sure that she goes pee when outside. Sometimes young Beagles will play so much when outside that they forget to pee. They run around and sniff and frolick. Then they come inside and relax and have to go pee.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have a problem with our Susi as well. But it is a different situation. Your young beagle will learn in time. I agree with the above post that you have to make sure she actually does pee when outside. What I do with Susi is take her outside and shut the front door behind me. I stand on the step and encourage her to go up the path- she wont go on the grass for some reason. Sometimes i have to stand there for half an hour until she gives in and pees on the path. Then I make a big fuss of her and give her a treat. Snoopy is also pleased when she pees outside because he gets an extra treat as well!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but had already experienced this situation with Chloe. She used to scratch it, like she is digging into it, and then pee... it stinked the whole apartment, and she didn't understand why I kept washing it and did it again...
I don't have an answer, but can tell you that I had to throw it away at some point, just got tired of washing it every other day.
I need to buy her a new bed... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chloe's Mom, that is exactly what Sophie is doing; she scratches the bed like she is digging and then she will pee. And this is right after coming in from peeing outside. She is very good about peeing on command outside and she gets praised for doing so. But when she gets to scratching the dog bed she will pee a little (she usually does not have much to pee at this point since she just came in from outside).

No problems in her crate. She can hold it from 10 pm until 6:30 am. And she naps in there during the day with no problem.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Lucky you, its just drops of pee on the bed, and she cooperates with the crate... Chloe screams when I close the crate door. Its strange, because she goes in if she wants to, and has no problem staying there when the door is open. I just gave up, but optimistic since I'm just a few days away from being able to walk her outside...

Can I see a picture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts