Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i lay on my bed reading after a bath. i normally don't bring sophie onto the bed, but she jumped up there so i let her stay. she walked around behind me and lay down against my back. i thought she meant to snuggle. instead, she installed a pond made from dog pee.
i <span style="font-style: italic">SWEAR</span> i only thought about killing her for a <span style="text-decoration: underline">little</span> while...
but anyhow, the wife had just taken her out not even 40 minutes before that. i have seen her go up to 3 hours before.
what the hell? what would make her lay down next to me, and pee while laying down? in my human mind that makes no sense. can anyone tell me what was the deal there? i <span style="text-decoration: underline">know</span> <span style="text-decoration: underline">she knows</span> to pee outside. as soon as she starts to pee(when outside) i ALWAYS tell her good girl and praise her. after she peed, i cleaned up, changed my clothes and took her out. she peed as soon as she got to the lawn, and then looked at me as if to say where's my praise?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Often when a dog pees in an inappropriate place - or if they've been housetrained for a while and suddenly start going inside, there can be a problem with a UTI (urinary tract infection)or bladder infection. If this happens again, you might want to consider a trip to the vet to see if there is a physical problem.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Please if you find an answer, other than crating or keeping them outside, please pass it on to me. Casie seems to think that my side of the bed is the best for this naughtiness! I can't tell you how sick and tired of sleeping on the couch I am.

And I only thought of hurting him for 5 seconds!

Cathy J

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I agree about the UTI. You can get a sample from her by using a pie pan or tupperware lid and pour it into a small bottle or bowl. Unless she is super new to you and was excited abd pee'd, I would think its the UTI. My Molly used to make little pp's when she got scared or excited but when she had a UTI it was BIG amounts of pee in inappropriate places.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If there is an infection most dogs pee a lot of very tiny bits during the whole day.

I don't know how old she is, but in my opinion it could just be a behavioral something
Like she felt dominant to you.

I would just suggest don't let her get on the bed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i will look into the uti thing. otherwise, i think it is weird that she would lay down, and pee while laying down.

tonight she wedged herself between this desk, and her crate. she pushed the crate over, and peed a lake onto the floor

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don't really have anything new to say in here, but i am getting really close to making 100 posts, and i want to change my avatar. so up goes the post count by one :-D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Bodie did the same thing the first time we let him on our bed Cheezyridr. He was maybe 4 months old at the time. He had just gone outside 30 mins. earlier but proceeded to pee after being on the bed maybe 30 seconds. Personally I think it was because it was his first time on the bed and perhaps a little excited and/or anxious. Unfortunately for him, after that he hasn't been allowed back up on the bed. I doubt that'll change anytime soon either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Josie was put on the bed after a few successful no pee nights on the floor. Charlie was put on the bed after a few weeks of trouble free couch time. Neither has messed on any furniture. They sleep longer in the bed too. Charlie use to get up 2 times a night at least, now he sleeps right on through.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can share your frustration. I've been crating Bailey during the day due to some leg lifting last month. He had been doing so well, so, one evening after a walk and lots of outside peeing, I let him play in my office uncrated while I worked. Less that 30 minutes later, I hear him peeing 3 FEET behind me, lifting his leg on a box on the floor! I was so frustrated for multiple reasons - A. He'd been doing so well, and slipped that fast B. He peed A LOT outside, so why do this already? C. He's never gone in the office. (Had him tested recently for UTI, and was neg) I scolding him mid pee, and he ran back in his crate, knowing he was bad. I locked it, and said, well you're not ready yet after all!! BTW, I know you're supposed to take them outside to finish going, and to show them the right way. But once Bailey cowers in his crate, I can't get him out, unless I want to see a lot more pee, as he's a chronic nervous/fear peeing dog. I got him to come out a little later, but couldn't get him to pee anymore.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Don & ErnieI can share your frustration. I've been crating Bailey during the day due to some leg lifting last month. He had been doing so well, so, one evening after a walk and lots of outside peeing, I let him play in my office uncrated while I worked. Less that 30 minutes later, I hear him peeing 3 FEET behind me, lifting his leg on a box on the floor! I was so frustrated for multiple reasons - A. He'd been doing so well, and slipped that fast B. He peed A LOT outside, so why do this already? C. He's never gone in the office. (Had him tested recently for UTI, and was neg) I scolding him mid pee, and he ran back in his crate, knowing he was bad. I locked it, and said, well you're not ready yet after all!! BTW, I know you're supposed to take them outside to finish going, and to show them the right way. But once Bailey cowers in his crate, I can't get him out, unless I want to see a lot more pee, as he's a chronic nervous/fear peeing dog. I got him to come out a little later, but couldn't get him to pee anymore.
Often when you scold him or tell him off when you catch him urinating, he doesn't learn not to pee inside - he learns not to pee in front of you, this is often when owners start talking about how their dogs are sneaky or know they are doing the wrong thing.

Crating him all day will obviously stop him urinating inside but it is not going to teach him not to urinate inside (if that makes sense) - all he is learning is that he has to hold his pee, not that he needs to go in certain area. What do you do to teach him to urinate in the right area?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe it's just a territorial thing. Since she never goes on your bed and then all of a sudden she gets to go on there and is enjoying the overwhelming smell of mommy on the bed... she decided to mask the smell and create one of her own? maybe.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey has peed on the bed twice. Once as a puppy and again when I bought a new comforter. I agree with Diana. I think it's a marking her territory thing. You say she's not usually allowed on the bed. To her, it was a new place, new smells and she wanted to make it smell like her. Both times with Jersey she was pawing and sniffing like she was going to circle and lay down. Then she bunched the comforter up under her and peed on it. When I bought a new comforter, she wouldn't come up on the bed and was afraid of the new blanket. After about a week of self imposed exile, she peed on it and never had a problem with it again. If she's not peeing in other places and is, for the most part, reliably housebroken I think she was just claiming the bed for herself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Sammi just turned one. She has peed on my bed, my daughter's bed, our guest room bed, and her own bed. Its not like she had to go that bad because several times she had just been outside and went. So I truly believe she was marking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts