Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Dodger
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I have this issue with Dodger he’s a year now and was well trained to do his duty outside very early, but I took him out every 2 hours when he was 10 weeks and so on and so on till now we still wants out like 6 times a day or to play constantly. Anyways he has always always gotten me up at 4am for a potty and that’s okay so after my half mug of coffee in the am last summer and fall we would take a long walk, but we skipped that this winter, so now at 8 am on the dot if I don’t take him out he will pee on my bathroom door, I crate him, but I can’t crate him till noon for his afternoon potty break he whines incessantly I need to break him of this habit of going out every 2 hours but how do I do this guys H is spoiled I know... I am trying for that 3 times a day walk, more in the summer is ok, but I failed this winter, alas help plzzzzzzz

· Registered
1,333 Posts
I feel your pain. Agis (non-Beagle) is 18 months now and knows that if he goes to the door and whines or jumps on it, he gets to go out.

Even if he's just been out a short time before. We are trying to respect that he is saying he has to go, but half the time he just wants to play outside. We are torn between ignoring him and making sure he knows we will listen to him. We try to stall him.

The difference being, he hasn't peed inside in a good 8 months. Can you wake up at 7:30 to take him out then slowly work on extending the potty times?

How are you cleaning the door? Enzyme cleaner?

· Registered
Dodger
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read to use flowery, lemon, and even apple spray on these spots to stop the recurring events, but Dodger doesn’t care and I have a rug cleaner as well as I scrub by hand and lay clean towels down. I do everything to stop the smell, but Dodger is persistent I first crated him when I remembered at 8 now I am trying to take him out instead for a long walk, but you know what he did yesterday???? He peed early yup around 7:30, now he hold his pee all night long 8- 10 hours he sleeps, but during the day he pees if I don’t take him out when HE wants out and that can really be at HIS time I have to each him like a hawk, and like I said I can’t crate him, or can I???? He’s a really stinker

· Registered
6,551 Posts
My dog pees every couple of hours. Sometimes she gives a yelp to.go out or she'll just sit by the door. When I see her by the door I'll open it and sure enough she pees outside. I do monitor her to make sure there arent accidents. ...lol

· Registered
41 Posts
Hello everyone I have this issue with Dodger he’s a year now and was well trained to do his duty outside very early, but I took him out every 2 hours when he was 10 weeks and so on and so on till now we still wants out like 6 times a day or to play constantly. Anyways he has always always gotten me up at 4am for a potty and that’s okay so after my half mug of coffee in the am last summer and fall we would take a long walk, but we skipped that this winter, so now at 8 am on the dot if I don’t take him out he will pee on my bathroom door, I crate him, but I can’t crate him till noon for his afternoon potty break he whines incessantly I need to break him of this habit of going out every 2 hours but how do I do this guys H is spoiled I know... I am trying for that 3 times a day walk, more in the summer is ok, but I failed this winter, alas help plzzzzzzz
I started with the 2 hours, then went to 3, 4, 5. Of course she learned to lie and want to go out for potty and sun and a fun. So if she asked and I thought it was a lie, I would make her wait until she asked the 3rd time. Most importantly I would only give her a treat if she potties. No potty, no cookie! She learned quick! Little puppy bladders do not have the muscle strength to hold it 8 hours. Unfortunately a puppy who goes out every 2 hours doesn't develop the bladder muscle to hold it. It is easily fixed, by my suggestion. Just don't expect miracles in a week. Stretch the hours, ignore 3 x before taking her and ONLY reward potties completed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.