Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried the pedi paws that has been advertised on TV? I've seen it a Wal-Mart and because I am such a big chicken when it comes to trimming the nails, I am looking for an 'alternative'.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I tried to use it on Coco but he freaked out by the semi loud noise that it made. I usually just use a larger regular nail file and since I walk him daily there's not much need to file his nails too much

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My husband has a Dremel and we just use it. The first couple of times the dogs were a little afraid of the noise, but it sure beat trying to clip their nails. They have always hated that. The main difference between the dremel and pedipaws I think would be that pedipaws has a guard that would help to keep the residue from flying in your face so much. It does stink a little to file the nails though so if smells bother you...be prepared. It's not bad though. Shoot...pedipaws is only about $20. It's worth it to try it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have looked at it but Maggie hates having her feet touched and this would take longer than clipping. Its easier to go to Petsmart or Petco and have it done.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy HATES it. The sound scares her and I can't hold her still, but it works great for Max. He isn't bothered by it. So, Daisy still goes to PetSmart.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have never used it, but talked to many people who have. EVERYONE says that it makes too much noise and freaks their dogs out. I don't think I know anyone that still uses it. My wife does the trimming of our dog's nails, and in the beginning I had to help a little. But after regular trimming (bi-weekly) and playing with their feet while they sit next to or in our laps, they seem to get used to it. They always get a treat afterward, so for our older dog, as soon as he see's the nail clippers he will wait patiently for his turn. The only drawback is that he tries to run to the treat cupboard after every paw. It's not easy to explain to a hungry beagle that he has three more paws to trim first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We just clip em. Both dogs are use to getting their feet touched. Every time they come in the house, if it is wet outside, they gets their feet wiped off before they get set down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I took Ben <span style="font-weight: bold">ONCE</span> to a groomer that used a dremel tool. It was not a good experience. It takes forever to do and the noise was off-putting for him.

Now he just gets regular clips at a place near our house. They only charge $5 for a month's worth of clips. We go twice a month.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I watched a consumer reports type show on t.v. and some real people tested the pedi paws on their pets for the first time on t.v. It was actually pretty funny b/c it was not a good endorsement for the product (it wasn't meant to be). It looked very awkward and the animals (dogs and cats (even one beagle)) were freaked out by the noise.

That show actually prevented me from purchasing it!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have one, and use it on Li'l Girl and Traveler. It works okay, I guess, but it's really just as easy for me to clip Li'l Girl's nails. It's better for Traveler because he has black nails. He gets a little antsy when I use it, but not too much. However, when I tried to use it to file Serena's nails, she freaked out!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just clip Snoopy's nails. Prior to being owned by a beagle, we were owned by a cocker spaniel. He required a lot of grooming. I know his groomer only charged a few dollars for a walk-in nail clipping. If you are afraid to clip the nails yourself you might want to check with a few groomers and see what they would charge for just a nail clipping. Heck, if you go to the PetSmart groomer you could make it a fun time by getting the nails done and then touring the store.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was mostly concerned about the noise, and I did think about trying my hubby's dremel!
I will definately seek out a groomer that will just do nails. Winston is fine with having his feet touched, but I'm nervous about doing the trimming myself. I have tried, but as he got older the nails got thicker and tougher and he does have some black ones which make me really nervous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts