Our Beagle World Forums banner

Peanut got a fish hook through her lip

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  madison069 
#1 ·
So hubby went fishing over the weekend and didn't put the fishing pole away. Last night Peanut came in with a hook in her lip. The barb of the hook was not all the way through her lip, so we couldn't just clip it and pull it out. She acted like it wasn't even hurting her, but I felt so bad. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif Off to emergency we went (because of course, she couldn't have done this during regular vet business hours). They had to put her completely out to remove it. She came home all groggy with pain meds and an antibiotic. The antibiotic is liquid and I am having no problems giving that to her. But the pain med is a pill (and unlike any puppy I have ever seen) she is quite picky. I am having a hard time getting the pill down her. I have tried wrapping it in a soft piece of food and hand feeding her, only to find the pill laying on the floor when she was done. Knowing that she loves cheese, I tried that too. You guessed it...pill on the floor.

Since she doesn't appear to be in pain, do you think that I should continue to try to give her pain meds and if so, any suggestions on getting her to take it?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
At first hubby got mad because it was one of his favorite's. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/pimp.gif I could have killed him. I gave him the "if momma ain't happy...ain't nobody happy" thing. Then he realized how upset I was and got his attitude changed real quick.

I have no problem with the liquid. The syringe works well for that. Just the pain pills. She is a stubborn little thing (like all beagles aren't????). Opening her mouth to get the pill in far enough to "force" the swallow only leaves me with bite marks. Those little puppy teeth are sharp and I have the marks to prove it after this morning's fiasco.

One other thing...while she was at emergency, they said they thought she might be coming into heat. She is barely 4 months old. Would that be possible? I have never had a female come into heat that early...

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Mom of 2 BeaglesYou can try putting it in a piece of cheese. That works every time for us.
Tried the cheese. Pill on the floor.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Peanut Butter!!!! *slapping forehead* Why didn't I think of that. That is an awesome idea!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif I will give that a try on her pill tonight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif

As for her coming into heat. Do you think it would hurt anything for me to go ahead and set up her spay?

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Originally Posted By: debannibThe emergency vet said (as we were coming through the door)....
"OH, I see you caught a dogfish" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hi5.gif
I keep teasing my son that she wanted to be like him since he has his lip pierced.

This is why I love this board so much. I know that if I have any question (no matter how stupid they may seem) everybody here is so willing to help out. I wish I had found a board like this when Kaden was a puppy...

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I did some research on the meds she was given. The pills are for both pain and inflamation. I tried the peanut butter and it worked! I think it is kinda funny that I didn't think of using peanut butter, since sometimes I call her my Peanut Butter.

I have been watching her closely for her coming into heat and the only thing I have noticed is that she is a bit swollen. I am going to go ahead and get the spay set up though, just to be on the safe side. My concern is that I will set it up and then she will come in. I have heard that it is more expensive to spay during their heat cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.