Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried DermaPaw ointment and halter socks for their pups who lick their paws incessantly.

For whatever the reason, we think it's boredom, Cobi licks his paws and has had some pretty bad sores on them, and into the cracks between his paws. They get very sore, and sometimes bleed.
We have tried every awful tasting thing in the planet to discourage him, put socks on his feet, sprayed him with a squirt bottle when we catch him doing it, and have gone through many bottles of sour apple spray. No good. I saw the ad for DermaPaw and the socks that fit over the back of the pooch, and wondered if anyone had had experience with this product. The pictures in the ads seem too good to believe, but then again, it might work.

Thoughts? http://shop.dermapaw.com/

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have the exact same problem with Bella. She licks and licks till she is bleeding and infected. The vet gave us ointment for when she does this, to stop infection and help heal. We have to make sure she doesn't lick it off. It is called Animax, and it works well to heal, but not to discourage. We also thought it was boredom, but it was always the same foot. The vet had two other theories: She walk differently on that foot, like it may have been broken when she was really young (less than 8 weeks) and looks like it may have healed in a manner that annoys her as she walks. It is barely noticeable, but you can see how this theory may be true. The other is that she has allergies to something outside, and it bothers her feet. We were thinking lawn fertilizer or something like that, or even natural things like grass, as she also does the reverse sneezing bit like crazy when we walk her. We live in MN, and both the sneezing and the paw licking have stopped completely now that we have snow. So we are thinking she may have some sort of grass allergy. Either way, we do stop her licking as soon as we notice it. I would talk to your vet about the allergy theory, and keep at the discouraging licking.
Good luck, and keep me posted. I am interested on what your vet says.

~Nick

·
Registered
614 Posts
Dixie licks and chew her paw due to allergy. I switched food and she developed a allergic reaction to the new food. So I switch back and she stopped the licking and chewing.

Might be something to try out. The Vet can give him a shot for allergy or you can try benadryl to see it's that the case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
George licks his paws when hes about to go to sleep. He licks so much that he soaks the material that is under his feet. Lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.