Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now Polly is chewing on her paws. On two of them, the topside is pink, like her pads. She has chewed off all the white fur.
someone recommended Benadryl to me...is she itchy, or just chewing to be chewing?
any thoughts?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm thinking allergies too. My parents beagle does this all the time. He has severe allergies though...but they were also recommend Benedryl and that helps him out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I think you may also be able to put some hydrocortisone cream on them, but I would confirm with the vet since the feet are an easy place to reach and she could just lick it right off. We use to put that on his belly, but I can't remember about his feet.

Good luck...Polly we hope you feel better soon and get rid of those itchies!!!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Charlie too, he has been chewing his hind feet, both of them. Whining and moaning as he chew. I thought he is hurting, squeezed it several times, seems fine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can be lots of reasons and unfortunately it can sometimes be difficult to diagnose the exact cause- could be a an allergy ( contact allergy, inhalant allergy, food allergy...) If it's only the paws where she's itching then contact allergy is most likely. But could also be a obsessive compulsive type behaviour. I agree go and see the vet before using any treatment.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, once I googled dog chewing paws--it does appear that she has some kind of allergy. from the pics I saw, it may be atopic dermatitis. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
I need to contact the vet, I guess.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts