Our Beagle World Forums banner

parvo

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  tosca 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to you guy's! Adopted a beagle from humane society. After 3 days, he was sick...vomiting and bloody stools. The vet had wormed him early that day! Then when I brought him back he was dx with parvo virus! Was told not to expect much( he weighed 3.5 lbs and was 5weeks old)! So far he has pulled through!!! I kept him home and hydrated every 30min. Has anyone had an experience with parvo? Also, we have a lab mix...and can't get his wild behaviour under control. We Haaave tried everything...any idea's!! thanx, tosca

#2 ·
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Oh Dear! Parvo is VERY SERIOUS! I am very suprised that the Humane Society released a Puppy that had the Parvo Virus! They need to be contacted that they had a puppy that had Parvo as it is VERY contageous & more than likely then it is spread all over the Humane Society there & among their Puppies and your Puppy needs to see a Vet and Get IV Fluids!
http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

#3 ·
Five weeks seems very young for adoption. When I got my puppy she also became very ill. It turned out to be Giardia. My vet said had it been parvo he would have had to take steps to shut down the facility and start tracing every dog placed from there. This is a serious illness and needs veterinary intervention.

#4 ·
Parvo is a very serious illness! Get him to the vet asap. Usually parvo puppies begin to experience vomiting--which means the water you are giving him will more than likely come back up. That is why iv fluids are the best idea! I hope you do not take this lightly. It is not out of the ordinary for even a puppy being treated to pass away--they are just not strong enough.

Good luck! You guys are in my thoughts.

#5 ·
My Lucky had Parvo at just 5 weeks of age. The first sign was the vomiting. I spent about a month nursing him back to health. I would have to force fluids, pills, and food into his mouth every few hours. I also had to give him a bath after every time he pooped. He slept a lot. He got worms and kennel cough right after the Parvo was gone. Parvo is so scary. Lucky's whole litter had it. One of his brothers died. The rest survived. Lucky is 2 years old now and healthy as can be. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Another important thing to keep in mind, is keep your puppy away from your other dog. Even if your other dog has had all the parvo vaccinations, it is still dangerous. Do not let your other dog near your puppy's poop since that is how it is passed. So I know all about Parvo. Just let me know if you have any questions.

#6 ·
Parvo scares the crud out of me. I was so paranoid with my first 2 and the same thing with Duke.

My stepson was over last night with his 8 w/o pit puppy and he took him our front. I freaked! Tried to explain to him that until all the shots are finished, that pup shouldn't be out front where other dogs are. But he and his girlfriend acted like it was no biggie. So I told my hubby that I don't want that puppy coming over again if they aren't going to be more careful.

#7 ·
Good luck with your puppy! We also had a HUGE parvo outbreak in our local humane society. It was very scary, there was also the dog flu. If you get him to the vet early there is a good chance he will make it and be fine.
As for your surroundings I would try and clean everything with bleach, that is the only thing that will kill it. If you dont parvo can live in the ground for 9 months.

#8 ·
HI,

HERSHEY WENT TO THE VET FOR PARVO AND WAS TOLD THAT IF HE HAS SOLID BM'S THEN HE WAS IN THE CLEAR AND THAT PARVO COULD NOT BE SREAD. I KEEP EVERYTHING BLEACHED AND HE GET WASHED AFTER HE HAS HIS BM. EVERYTHING SEEMS GREAT! I CALLED THE HUMANE SOCIETY AND THEY JUST DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH VOLUNTEERS TO HELP FOSTER LIL ONES!? SO THEY ADOPT THEM OUT FAST. AS FAR AS PARVO, "THEY WILL KEEP A WATCHFUL EYE!" HE DID GO THRU ALL THE VOMITING,DIARRHEA AND BLOODY STOOLS. I KEPT FLUIDS IN HIM EVERY 30MIN BUT THE VET WAS ONLY GOING TO DO SUB-Q SALINE AND THEN KEEP HIM IN A CAGE UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING AND REPEAT! I THINK THE BEST CHOICE WAS MADE FOR HERSHEY. I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED.TOSCA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.