Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, let's hear what you use and where you get it from. I am trying to figure out what will effectively protect my little girl from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes, and equally important where to get it from that it doesn't break the bank!

She had gotten frontline plus at the pound when we adopted her, and it seemed to work well. After getting prescribed Sentinel by her new vet, and finding out that it is pretty much useless to a dog that spends any time outdoors, I am back to the K9-advantix or FrontLine Plus debate. No cats in the house, and the pup just loves to spend time outside. It just happens to be pest heaven, a forest and field loaded with trees, brush, and animals.

The local vets charge about 80 for a 6 month round of either, but I found a site (entirelypets.com) that offers frontline for 65 and advantix for 56. Anyone have experience with this site or know of one that sells for less?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If you use frontline, the pup is protected for ticks and fleas. If the pup is on heartworm pills (monthly) it's protected against mosquito bites too. Advantix protects against all 3 parasites...
Your choice, I use frontline, got the 6 months round treatment - works great!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, I use Frontline Plus and a 6 month supply is about $70. I get it from the vet because it's easier that way. I, however, do not put it on once a month. It is not necessary to, at least around here. Lucky gets it about once every 2 to 3 months. And he is also on Heartguard that he does get every month.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds dumb but I find garlic in the food - cooked or raw and tar soap works amazingly well. we live in Singapore and battle ticks daily and that combo really works. I dont like the idea of consistent frontline so I only use it every few months when the rainy season comes and the ticks multiply like mad

·
Registered
786 Posts
I use Frontline for my 3 dogs. But I found a location from Australia that sells for alot less. Its made by the same company and everything looks the same other than the weight is in kilos...

www.petshed.com

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We use Frontline plus for 6 months of the year, we get it from our vet and believe he charged us 60 Euros for 2 dogs.
Interesting about the garlic and tar soap.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Im not sure about the effects of "tar soap"...but garlic is in the onion family & to be used very sparingly with dogs as onions can be very hard for their liver to deal with! Garlic is a great part of a humans diet to lower blood pressure & chloesterol...(but not reccomended for dogs)! Our "time tested dog food recipie excludes onions & only a tiny amount of garlic powder is allowed to enhance the flavor"! Do consult your vet for the best option...but if "the cure is worse than the disease"...A modern method of dealing with the problem might be the best bet! Us humans have advanced/evolved to the point that some organs have become obsolete! Like your tonsils, they have become obsolete since the advent of modern medecine...they used to be the bodys first line of defence against certain infections, But once anti-biotics were developed, the tonsils became redundant! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts